Fashion Styling (Online Short Course)
For budding stylists keen to take their first steps in this popular fashion career path. This styling course looks at the contemporary fashion media, the current fashion image and the day-to-day working life of a fashion stylist. You will learn about the different types of contemporary fashion image, key industry creatives, how and where to find inspiration, how to research a story and answer commercial and creative briefs. Taught by a successful working stylist, this course is taught from an industry perspective and is full of insider knowledge and tips.
- History of the fashion stylist
- Who are the key figures influencing fashion right now? Fashion photographers, stylists, and magazines
- The roles of the stylist in contemporary fashion media
- A practical guide and tips for working as a fashion stylist and preparing shoots
- How to communicate with different professionals within the fashion industry (Editors, PRs, Model Agencies…)
- Trends: What are they, how do we spot them, and can we predict them?
- A guide to researching and pitching contemporary fashion editorial concepts
- How to begin putting together your own portfolio as a stylist.
- Maria, former student
By the end of this course you will have;
- Gained a good understanding of the role of a fashion stylist and how this role has developed
- Learnt about the key influencers of contemporary fashion styling and their work
- Gained an insight into how the fashion media industry is structured and how the fashion stylists fit into it
- Discovered key places to look to find new trends and learnt how trends will influence your work as a fashion stylist
- Practised, and learnt techniques to effectively pitch new ideas for fashion editorials
- Received insider tips on fashion styling from an industry expert
- Completed a range of fashion styling assignment briefs
- Received personal feedback on your weekly assignments from your tutor
Who is Fashion Styling Online for
This course is excellent for anyone who wants to learn about the exciting world of fashion styling, how to create professional editorial fashion images, and how to begin their career as a fashion stylist.
Please note: This course is for learners aged 18 and over
Why choose an LCF Online Short Course?
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Fashion wherever you are in the world. The real-time chat sessions are fully interactive allowing you to communicate easily with the tutor at the same time as fellow students. Additionally all LCF Online Short Courses include:
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCF Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
John William has been working at the forefront of fashion media for over fifteen years. An industry professional, he specialises in journalism, styling, creative direction, trend forecasting and photography. He launched London College of Fashion’s print magazine ‘Pigeons and Peacocks’ in 2008 and continued to work as the Editor in Chief for the next five years. Editorial clients include: i-D, Vice, The Sunday Times Style, Paper, Puss Puss, Please! and Nylon. For the past decade, John has been working as an Associate Lecturer at the London College of Fashion across a number of BA courses, as well as teaching a range of fashion media short courses. John William is currently the Online Editor for Beauty Papers Magazine.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions