Introduction To Professional Sewing Skills - Part 1
This is a simple and quick course designed to focus on learning the techniques of professional sewing. The tutor will provide an effective learning environment that is student led in order to allow for the maximum use of time and the greatest learning opportunities. Students will be provided with a demonstration on a specific skill in either pairs or groups of four, which they will then analyse and practice. Note taking during this course is a must, as students will need to take initiative regarding their own development and practice.
- Zipper (concealed, exposed and trouser)
- Collar - shirt, jacket/coat
- Pocket - jett, welt, patch hidden stitch
- Sleeve opening for jacket and shirts
- Hems - pin, single, double and cover seam
- Handstitching - slip stitch and cross stitch for jersey/stretch fabric
- Checking patterns (to be used for Introduction to Professional Sewing Skills Part 2)
There will be an introduction to heath and safety regarding the use of the machines before students starts sewing themselves.
Level: This course is appropriate for absolute beginners and also those that would like to further develop their existing sewing skills.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Arly Torcelino has been a dressmaker for over 20 years and has been consulted by the students with their multiple ideas at Central Saint Martins for over 8 years.
Please bring to the first session:
- Scissors for fabric and paper
- Dressmaker's pins
- Tailor's chalk
- Tape measure
- Pens and notebook for taking notes