Pattern Cutting for Skirts Online Short Course
Pattern cutting is a key part of the fashion design process. This short course will show you how to make a skirt pattern to produce a beautiful, well made product. Understanding how to create different types of skirts is key to producing your own womenswear fashion collection.
This practical short course will introduce you to the three basic shapes of skirts; straight, A-line and pencil. You will also learn how to analyse a design and how to turn it into a pattern from scratch. You will gain knowledge of how to achieve the perfect fitting as well as preparing a skirt pattern for production.
You will learn in weekly online classes, consisting of a pattern making demonstration followed by a Q&A session. To get the most out of this course, you are also expected to complete weekly assignments for which you will receive expert feedback on from your tutor.
By the end of this course, you will be able to confidently create any of the three main skirt shapes either for bespoke or production use. You will know how to take accurate measurements and complete waistbands, slits and linings. You will gain a skill that could lead to starting your own business or developing a portfolio for further study or employment.
Who is Pattern Cutting for Skirts Online Short Course for?
This course is perfect for fashion designers, pattern cutters who want to create their own blocks, seamstresses who want to start creating their own patterns and anyone who wishes to progress into bespoke pattern and garment making.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
- How to measure a body and important measurements for a perfect fit
- Create a straight skirt shape in your required measurements
- Create an A-line skirt shape in your required measurements
- Variations of an A-line skirt
- Create a pencil skirt in your required measurements
- Variations of a pencil skirt
- Completing a skirt pattern
- Waistbands, lining, facing, slits, seam allowance
- Shape recognition
- Production skirt blocks
- How production blocks work
- Create your own skirt block
By the end of the course you will be able to;
- Make skirt patterns from scratch
- Achieve the required skirt shape
- Take body measurements in order to achieve a perfectly fitted skirt for the silhouette
- Create basic skirt shapes to bespoke measurements
- Create basic skirt blocks for garment production
Meet the Tutor:
Pattern cutting is a key part of the fashion design process. This practical online short course will show you how to make a skirt pattern to produce a beautiful, well made product.