Introduction to Pattern Making Online Short Course
This course will introduce you to the basic techniques for womenswear pattern cutting, and is lead by CSM BA Fashion pattern cutting lecturer, Donna Kernan. You will learn to work with size 10 basic blocks and will explore various techniques to create styles of skirt, sleeves and bodices, with the aim of bringing these elements together to create your own garments.
Each lesson will include practical demonstrations from the tutor, and you will be set practical assignments each week to develop your skills. You will receive personal feedback on your work each week, and will be able to ask questions and get guidance on how to improve your work.
Who is Pattern Cutting Online Short Course for?
This course is for anyone with an interest in learning the pattern cutting skills necessary to construct garments. This course would be ideal for anyone who wants to create clothing, either for themselves or as a designer, or for anyone interested in the garment construction process (eg. Fashion illustrators, fashion buyers, textile designers, etc). No previous experience is required.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Introduction to pattern cutting
- Introduction to the tools you will need
- Body measurements needed for pattern cutting
- Explanation of pattern cutting terminology and grain lines
- How to trace off the skirt blocks
- How to add seam allowance
- How to amend skirt lengths
- How to create patterns for various skirt styles that add volume
- How to create patterns for various sleeve styles through slashing and spreading
- The bodice block and pivoting darts
- How to turn a dart into a style line
By the end of the course you will have:
- Developed confidence in pattern cutting through practical demonstrations and assignments
- Learned how to pivot darts and manipulate blocks to create new styles
- Learned to take measurements from the body and make basic fitting adjustments
- Learned how to add balance lines, grain lines, seam allowances, notches and cutting instructions to your pattern pieces
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions
- Set square or pattern master
- French curve
- HB mechanical pencil
- Pattern cutting paper (needs to be slightly see through)
- Tracing wheel
- Metric tape measure
- Paper scissors
- Glue stick
- Biros in blue, red and green
- Masking tape or magic scotch tape
- Glue stick
- Fine steel pins
- Fabric scissors
- Medium weight calico (2 mtrs)
Meet the Tutor:
This course will introduce you to the basic techniques for womenswear pattern cutting, and is lead by CSM BA Fashion pattern cutting lecturer, Donna Kernan. You will learn to work with size 10 basic blocks and will explore various techniques.