Bra Pattern Cutting
This course is for students who would like to develop their pattern cutting skills in the specialised area of bras.
You’ll start by investigating different shapes and styles of bras, different cup seams, wires, and fabric types.We’ll demonstrate how to create patterns for bras, using methods such as modelling on the stand and drafting from given measurements. You will leave the course with 3 bra patterns of different styles. These will include: a plunge underwired bra, balcony bra with cradle and a full cup bra. You will also be shown how to make a bra toile and how to fit the bra to the stand.
Please note that all bras patterns will be constructed in size 34This course does not include grading patterns to different sizes or making completed bras.Check out the video Mae made of her experience studying Structured Bra Making and Bra Pattern Cutting at LCF on her Youtube channel Peppermint Milk:
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- 28mm blade Rotary cutter with retractable blade (Olfa or Fiscars)
- Pattern master or Graders set square & French curve
- Paper shears for pattern cutting
- Tracing wheel
- Metric tape measure
- Fine pins
- Flexible ruler
- Air-erasable fabric marker pen
- 5mm propelling pencil with one of the following types of lead: 2H to 6H
- Designer tape
- Notepad and pen
- Different methods of pattern construction
- Pattern annotation, grain & stretch
- Seam types: vertical, diagonal, curved, horizontal & darted
- Introduction to bra fabrics and components
- Fabric suitability / testing stretch of fabric
Meet the Tutor:
Our Bra Pattern Cutting short course has been specifically designed for those looking to develop their pattern cutting skills, you will explore: shapes and styles, cup seams, wires and fabric types.