Fashion Womenswear Residential Summer School for 16 to 18 Year Olds
This residential workshop is aimed at teenagers who dare to be different, have an opinion and an interest in clothing. This workshop will stimulate and challenge you in the same way fashion students at CSM are stretched every day.
You will grow an understanding for the significance and power behind fashion design and how to communicate emotions & motion, thoughts and opinions through garments creating a change. Crucially, you will look at different forms of fashion research and also fashion presentations such as film, performance, installation etc.
The focus of the workshop is the joy of developing a strong idea and seeing it through to a finished piece without needing any specific technical skills. By the end of the two weeks we will celebrate your own exclusive series of dress experiments and their physical and visual presentations.
During the two weeks you will explore the following subjects, all supported by the relevant talks and discussions:
The importance of investigating and communicating emotions and opinions through fashion
- Different kinds of fashion presentations other than a catwalk show
- 3D skills, such as draping and experimenting with textile
- Researching, collating and exploring different materials
- How to develop an idea from research through experimentation to a final design outcome
- A series of dresses analysed and represented in numerous ways
- On this fashion course you can expect to explore the design process very much in the spirit of the college, where your own personal and explorative approach will be celebrated and encouraged
- Creating fashion imagery through painting, photography, drawing etc.
This promises to be an exciting and unique experience for any 16-18 year-old who is:
- Interested in developing their own creativity
- Wishing to express their very own thoughts or feelings
- Building a portfolio for future studies
- Confident in learning from their mistakes
- Keen to work with students of different nationalities
- Wishing to develop their skills in communicating ideas
- Introduction to fashion design, research and fashion presentation
- Develop and encourage idea development skills
- Gain an understanding of basic studio skills
- Present your final work to your peers and tutors
- An ability to research concepts which can be developed into design (Research)
- An ability to translate research concepts into creative design solutions in response to a brief (Analysis)
- An ability to communicate ideas/concepts through visual presentation (Communication, Presentation)
The ability to work independently and professionally focusing on a particular design brief (Collaborative, Independent Learning)
The studio for the Fashion Womenswear residential course are at Central Saint Martins’ Archway campus in North London, which is home to the fashion Foundation Studies. Accommodation is nearby at Sketch House halls of residence in Finsbury Park. Both locations are within easy reach both of Central Saint Martins’ main campus at Kings Cross and everything else that London has to offer as a world centre of fashion in terms of exhibitions and galleries. Programmed activities during evenings and weekends, including gallery visits and events, will ensure that students are able to make the most of these resources.
FASHION – EMOTION AND IN MOTION FOREVER
Developed by Anna-Nicole Ziesche BA Fashion Design Womenswear Pathway Leader, CSM
Please bring with you:
- Basic stationary
- Cutting shears
- Paper scissors
- Garment pins
- phone or camera