Fashion Design and Styling Residential Summer School for 13 to 16 Year Olds
This course has been designed specifically for teenagers that are interested in studying fashion design and styling. Whether you consider yourself a complete beginner or if you are studying art, design or fashion at school, this course will give you an experience of fashion as it is taught at Central Saint Martins. You will develop your confidence while experimenting with design, working on idea generation and focusing on creativity while also developing your technical skills through tutor-led practical making and designing activities.
During the two weeks you will explore the following subjects, all supported by the relevant talks and discussions:
- Fashion illustration
- Observational and mark-making skills
- 3D skills, such as draping and experimenting with textile and styling techniques
- How to develop an idea from research through experimentation to a final design outcome
- On this fashion course you can expect to explore the design process very much in the spirit of the college, where your own personal and explorative approach will be celebrated and encouraged
- Creating a fashion film; fashion styling, modelling, hair and makeup, art direction and filming & lighting
Central Saint Martins is internationally famous for fashion design, with alumni including Stella McCartney, Alexander McQueen, Matthew Williamson and John Galliano.
This promises to be an exciting and unique experience for any 13-16 year-old who is:
- Interested in developing their own creativity
- Building a portfolio for future studies
- Confident in learning from their mistakes
- Keen to work with students of different nationalities
- Willing to work and collaborate with others during projects
- Wishing to develop their skills in communicating ideas
All studies, accommodation and residential services take place at the Licensed Victuallers' School in Ascot, a boarding school set in beautiful grounds with great facilities. All of the residential services and support are provided for by our partners The Ardmore Group, a specialist English language and pastoral care organisation. The course fee includes shared room accommodation, sports activities, internet access and catering for morning, lunch and evening meals.
Licensed Victuallers' School
2 week residential course session dates:
Session 1: 8 July - 21 July 2018
Session 2: 22 July - 4 August 2018
*Final Exhibition - to be held on the last Friday afternoon of each course. Parents, family and friends are all invited to attend.
Weekday Course times: 10.00 - 16.00
Estimated Group Size: Maximum of 16 students per class
The course fees is inclusive of VAT and covers:
- Most course materials
- Full pastoral care
- Shared accommodation
- Catering (breakfast, lunch and evening meal)
- Indoor swimming pool
- Sports ground and tennis courts
- Computer room
- Special evening activities and/or weekend excursions
Please note: This course is for students aged 13 to 16 years old only
Christopher Kelly is a London based fashion designer with a traditional and considered approach to men’s/unisex design. Christopher has a diverse background in design; his experience in art direction, set design and prop making gives him a true understanding of the design process from concept to construction.
Christopher teaches at Central Saint Martins on the Fashion foundation course alongside his design career. “My role as associate lecturer at CSM is a great compliment to my design career and I find that both worlds feed into each other allowing for a rich and invigorating tapestry to be woven” His new fashion collection OUTFIT is an ever-evolving collection of garments, which make a complete head to toe look including garment, accessory and millenary design.
Christopher’s work is sold internationally and receives great success most prominently in London, Japan and China. His set and prop design also receives great international acclaim and to date his giant polar bear marionette ‘Aurora’ continues to tour the world bringing awareness to the planets climate changes for international charity Greenpeace.
Please bring with you:
- USB stick
- Current sketchbooks
- Bring any drawing medium you have although we will supply the majority