Fashion Design and Styling Residential Summer School for 13 to 16 Year Olds
This course has been designed specifically for teenagers that are interested in studying fashion design and styling. Whether you consider yourself a complete beginner or if you are studying art, design or fashion at school, this course will give you an experience of fashion as it is taught at Central Saint Martins. You will develop your confidence while experimenting with design, working on idea generation and focusing on creativity while also developing your technical skills through tutor-led practical making and designing activities.
During the two weeks you will explore the following subjects, all supported by the relevant talks and discussions:
- Fashion illustration
- Observational drawing and mark-making skills
- 3D skills, such as draping and experimenting with textile and styling techniques
- How to develop an idea from research through experimentation to a final design outcome
- On this fashion course you can expect to explore the design process very much in the spirit of the college, where your own personal and explorative approach will be celebrated and encouraged
- Creating a fashion film; fashion styling, modelling, hair and makeup, art direction and filming & lighting
Central Saint Martins is internationally famous for fashion design, with alumni including Stella McCartney, Alexander McQueen, Matthew Williamson and John Galliano.
This promises to be an exciting and unique experience for any 13-16 year-old who is:
- Interested in developing their own creativity
- Building a portfolio for future studies
- Confident in learning from their mistakes
- Keen to work with students of different nationalities
- Willing to work and collaborate with others during projects
- Wishing to develop their skills in communicating ideas
Meet some students from the Fashion Design and Styling Residential Summer School:
AND check out our Short Course Residential Summer School for 13 to 16 Year Olds promotional video on YouTube.
St Thomas More Language College, Cadogan St, Chelsea, London SW3 2QS
The course fee includes shared room accommodation, activities, internet access and catering for morning, lunch and evening meals.
The course fees is inclusive of VAT and covers:
- Most course materials
- Shared accommodation (2 per room with an en-suite bathroom)
- Catering (breakfast, lunch and evening meal)
- Sports ground
- After school evening activities
- Weekend excursions
Please note: This course is for students aged 13 to 16 years old only
Christopher Kelly is a London based fashion designer with a traditional and considered approach to men’s/unisex design. Christopher has a diverse background in design; his experience in art direction, set design and prop making gives him a true understanding of the design process from concept to construction.
Christopher teaches at Central Saint Martins on the Fashion foundation course alongside his design career. “My role as associate lecturer at CSM is a great compliment to my design career and I find that both worlds feed into each other allowing for a rich and invigorating tapestry to be woven” His new fashion collection OUTFIT is an ever-evolving collection of garments, which make a complete head to toe look including garment, accessory and millenary design.
Christopher’s work is sold internationally and receives great success most prominently in London, Japan and China. His set and prop design also receives great international acclaim and to date his giant polar bear marionette ‘Aurora’ continues to tour the world bringing awareness to the planets climate changes for international charity Greenpeace.
Please bring the following materials with you to the first session
- Camera (a phone camera is adequate)
- Current sketchbooks
- Bring any drawing medium you have although we will supply the majority
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.