Fashion Design and Styling School at Home for 13 to 16 Year Olds (Online Short Course)
This online course has been designed specifically for teenagers aged 13 to 16 years old that are interested in studying fashion design and styling.
We have developed this course to teach all of the skills required via tailored online tutorials. Whether you consider yourself a complete beginner or if you are studying art, design or fashion at school, this course will give you an experience of fashion as it is taught at Central Saint Martins.
As a part of the online classroom environment, you will receive daily online presentations, live workshop demonstrations and 1-to-1 tutorial’s. You will develop your confidence while experimenting with design, working on idea generation and focusing on creativity while also developing your technical skills through tutor-led online sessions.
During the 2 weeks you will explore the following subjects, all supported by the relevant talks and discussions:
- Fashion illustration
- Observational drawing and mark-making skills
- 3D skills including – print making, paper folding, knitting, collage
- How to develop an idea from research through experimentation to a final design outcome
- Creating a digital fashion magazine cover; fashion styling and art direction
On this fashion course you can expect to explore the design process very much in the spirit of the college, where your own personal and explorative approach will be celebrated and encouraged.
Central Saint Martins is internationally famous for fashion design, with alumni including Stella McCartney, Alexander McQueen, Matthew Williamson and John Galliano.
This promises to be an exciting and unique experience for any 13 to 16 year old who is:
- Interested in developing their own creativity
- Building a portfolio for future studies
- Confident in learning from their mistakes
- Keen to work with students of different nationalities
- Willing to work and collaborate with others during projects
- Wishing to develop their skills in communicating ideas
2-week course delivery, each day includes 2 x check in tutorials
Please note that we will be providing additional information about live session delivery times, so that we can accommodate students across multiple time zones. This will be finalised closer to the course start date.
Students will receive
- Daily - Fact sheet for all demos, visual presentation, Instagram posts featuring their work
- End of the course – catalogue featuring their work and CSM online gallery/exhibition and a certificate of attendance
- Introduction to project brief
- Group tutorial - love in (get to know you) + cyber bullying sign posting
- Presentation – Outlining the 2 week creative process
- Demo/activity – Building a mood board
- Activity – Collect 5 – 10 images based on given theme
- Group tutorial – Sharing what images they have found, put students in groups
- Presentation - Moodboard building continued
- Demo/activity – Image editing & building interactive moodboard
- Activity – Build moodboard with selected shared images
- Group tutorial – Sharing each other’s moodboard, select groups choice
- Presentation – Collage making
- Demo – digital & physical Collage making from mood images
- Activity – Create 4 x collages
- Group tutorial – Sharing each other’s collages
- Presentation – fashion illustration, drawing skills
- Group tutorial/class – Live online drawing session
- Activity – Create design template
- Group tutorial – Share drawings & design templates
- Presentation – Abstract design for the body + magazine concepts
- Demo/activity – Digital collage design for the body
- Activity – Design x 6 abstract designs
- Group tutorial – Sharing abstract designs
- Presentation – textile creation
- Demo/activity – Basic knit techniques
- Activity – knitting
- Group tutorial – Sharing knit samples and selection for moodboard
- Presentation – print making
- Demo/activity – Physical print making techniques
- Activity – print making
- Group tutorial – Sharing print samples and selection for moodboard
- Presentation – paper folding/paper creations
- Demo/activity – paper folding/paper creations
- Activity – paper folding/paper creations
- Group tutorial – Sharing paper samples and selection for moodboard
- Presentation – Abstract design for the body + styling ideas
- Demo/activity – Design development, collage + samples to create final look
- Activity – Design x 6 designs research styling looks
- Group tutorial – Sharing designs, select groups final design
- Presentation – Making a magazine cover + fashion illustrations
- Group tutorial/class – Live online Digital magazine layout design
- Activity – Create 1 magazine cover each
- Group tutorial – Select final cover
The final magazine cover design plus work in progress photos will be collated into a digital/physical catalogue and sent out to each student. The work in progress shots and outcomes will also be shared on socials plus hosted by the CSM online gallery space.
Watch our Online Short Courses for 13 to 16 Year Olds promotional video on YouTube.
Read more about our online short courses in our helpful article, Why taking an online short course is perfect for you!
Please note: This course is for students aged 13 to 16 years old only
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Christopher Kelly is a London based fashion designer with a traditional and considered approach to men’s/unisex design. Christopher has a diverse background in design; his experience in art direction, set design and prop making gives him a true understanding of the design process from concept to construction.
Christopher teaches at Central Saint Martins on the Fashion foundation course alongside his design career. “My role as associate lecturer at CSM is a great compliment to my design career and I find that both worlds feed into each other allowing for a rich and invigorating tapestry to be woven” His new fashion collection OUTFIT is an ever-evolving collection of garments, which make a complete head to toe look including garment, accessory and millenary design.
Christopher’s work is sold internationally and receives great success most prominently in London, Japan and China. His set and prop design also receives great international acclaim and to date his giant polar bear marionette ‘Aurora’ continues to tour the world bringing awareness to the planets climate changes for international charity Greenpeace.
- HB drawing pencil (non-colour)
- Black fine liner pen
- Black, red, blue marker pen (thick)
- Pencil sharpener
- A4 cartridge paper x 50 sheets (or sketchbook)
- A3 cartridge paper x 10 sheets (or sketchbook)
- 1 x pack mixed colour card
- A4 Cutting mat or thick card
- Tissue paper mixed colours
- Masking tape
- Glue stick
- Paper scissors
- Craft knife
- String or (wool) yarn x 3 different colours
- Red, yellow, green, blue poster paints
- Paint brush
- Old clothing/apron for printing
- Appropriate area for printing/painting
- Supervision whilst using craft knife internet searching
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.