Menswear Design Portfolio
You should will leave the course with the confidence to work independently and the ability to plan how your portfolio will be presented for applications and interviews.
- Doing and using good design research
- Designing and sketching skills
- Developing an eye for mood and colour
- Understanding fabrics and their use
- How to design a balanced collection
- Using illustration and technical drawing techniques to convey your ideas
Who should take this course?
- Students thinking of applying for further studies in menswear at either BA or MA level.
- Anyone wanting to develop their menswear design skills in order to create or boost a portfolio.
- Beginners are also welcome but it would be helpful if they have an idea about the direction to which they want to take their design.
- This course is for students aged 18 years and over. Students aged 16 and 17 years old can find a similar course by visiting our Courses for teenagers section of the website.
Entry requirements: You should have some basic experience in fashion design through work, previous study, or personal interest.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please bring to the first session:
- previous portfolio/design work
- interesting visual research
- magazines, old/new/your own photos , books, photocopies, garments with interesting details, fabrics anything you find visually interesting and would like to discuss
For subsequent sessions you will need a selection of drawing media:
- pencils/graphite pencil/ charcoal
- pencil crayons/pastels/felt tips/markers/pantones/fine liners
- any wet material (inks/watercolour/gouache/water soluble crayons
- any other material or medium thing that you like to draw with
- A4/A3 paper
- camera (your phone will do)
Drawing material does not need to be brand new and expensive. You could go to £1 stores/markets and find interesting inexpensive materials.?