Introduction To Technical Drawing For Fashion Weekend
Being able to execute technical drawings using Adobe Illustrator is a requirement for any entry-level design job or internship these days. Technical drawings should communicate all the design aspects of a garment (shape, proportion, details) in a clear and easy manner to understand format.
In this course you will explore the basic tools available in Adobe Illustrator, through the drawing of key shapes (shirt, tailored jacket, t-shirt and trousers). You will then be guided through the process of translating your own sketch, or a chosen garment, into a detailed technical drawing.
Who is the course aimed at?
Fashion students or anyone looking to work in fashion design.
- Introduction to the basic tools of Adobe Illustrator
- Overview of the different styles in technical drawing
- Drawing of key garments (shirt, tailored jacket, t-shirt and trousers)
- Rendering techniques
- Adding colour and print to drawings
- Drawing of details
- Page layout
- Creating a trim library
- A detailed technical drawing (front, back and internal views) made to industry standard
- A basic knowledge of Adobe Illustrator on which to build a portfolio
- How to create a fashion technical drawing from a sketch/image using Adobe Illustrator
- An understanding of industry practice on the development and use of technical drawings.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Gabriel is a menswear designer. He graduated from Central Saint Martins BA (Hons) Fashion Menswear and was awarded the LVMH Graduate prize, 2015. In the same year he was shortlisted for the H&M Design Award and his work has been featured in
Vogue (UK and Italy), ID online, Dazed digital, Wonderland magazine and GQ China.
After working at Kenzo in Paris, he is currently designing for the TH Collection line at Tommy Hillfiger in Amsterdam.
Please bring to the first session:
- Sketch or image of your chosen garment
- USB stick