Fashion Drawing and Illustration
Course descriptionThis Fashion Drawing and Illustration course is designed to introduce you to the practice of drawing and illustration for fashion, both in its initial and final stages. Through a set of carefully constructed exercises and demonstrations, students will learn a variety of ways of communicating and illustrating fashion. This course will provide a fresh perspective on fashion drawing and it is specifically aimed to liberate the student and inspire them to sketch, illustrate, explore diverse approaches, mediums and techniques and find their own way within the subject. During the Drawing part of the course you will learn how to draw what you observe and how to communicate fashion designs on the figure, individually as garments and as a part of a Fashion Design line-up.
- Sketching for Fashion
- Fundamentals of Fashion Drawing
- Various methods for drawing your Fashion Figure
- Gesture, movement and pose
- Heads, hands, faces, hair and feet
- Drawing garments
- How to draw drapery and volume
- Texture and pattern
- Understanding shading
- Rendering different fabrics
- How to use promarkers and colour pencils
- Creating a final Fashion Design Line-up drawings of your chosen collection
During the Illustration part of the course you will learn how to transition from drawing what you see to drawing what you think and how to develop your personal style of illustration. You will create a series of fashion illustration for your portfolio and learn how to use a selection of wet and dry mediums.
This part of the course includes:
- Fashion Illustration as means of “Capturing the Essence”
- What it means to develop your personal style
- How to draw what you think
- Deconstructing the building blocks – line, colour and shape
- Understanding colour
- Watercolours for Fashion
- Ink for Fashion
- Pastels for Fashion
- Acrylic and Gouache for Fashion
- Illustrating carefully chosen selection of contemporary fashion designers
Basic materials will be provided, and during the first class you'll be advised regarding extra items you may wish to bring for your own use.
Meet the Tutor:
Explore fashion drawing styles and techniques on this Fashion Drawing course. Learn how to express your designs figuratively and get your ideas on paper.