Sustainable Fashion Design (Online Short Course)
Sustainable fashion has become an integral part of the fashion industry, whether you are practicing in the mainstream or the emerging market. Instead of being seen as a challenge for fashion designers and product developers, it’s now viewed as an opportunity for brands to differentiate themselves from the competition. It requires more than a surface understanding of the issues and the responses to be able to make informed decisions based on social and environmental impacts. This course provides an overview of sustainable fashion design practices, with examples of how designers can incorporate them into their work.
The course will review the impacts of the mainstream fashion industry, as well as explore strategies to incorporate sustainable design concepts, conscious material choices and strategies for cyclability. Each week we will explore a specific aspect of the industry, and assign a task in response. The following week we will discuss your work with feedback from the tutor as well as your peers.
- The main impacts of mainstream fashion production and consumption
- Alternative strategies for sustainable fashion
- Material impacts
- Circularity and cyclability
- Design strategies
- Ethical issues
By the end of the course you will:
- Gain an understanding of the major environmental and human impacts of the mainstream fashion system
- Learn about sustainable design responses to those impacts
- Build a material knowledge that will enable you to make smarter material choices
- Understand the various cyclability and circularity strategies
- Learn strategies to create systemic change through design thinking and processes for a more sustainable fashion industry
- Address the ethics of cultural appropriation, diversity, and ideals of beauty in fashion
- Through small manageable projects gain hands on experience of the issues
Who is Sustainable Fashion Design (Online Short Course) for
This course is for fashion designers, fashion students and fashion enthusiasts who simply want to gain a greater understanding of sustainable fashion design.
Level: All levels welcome
Please note: This course is for learners aged 18 and over
Why choose a London College of Fashion Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Fashion wherever you are in the world. Additionally all LCF Online Short Courses include:
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCF Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Previously the Founding Dean of the Dubai Institute of Design and Innovation, Sass Brown was also the Interim Dean for FIT’s School of Art and Design in New York. As a fashion designer with a background in sustainable development, Brown was an Associate Design Researcher on the MISTRA Future Fashion consortium and an advisor for Sustainia100. As a writer, educator, and activist, she has published papers and spoken around the world as well as served as a sustainable design advisor to women’s cooperatives, educational institutions, governmental agencies, NGO’s and SME’s. Her publications include the books Eco Fashion and ReFashioned, also published in Italian and Spanish, and a monthly article for the National UAE.’s Luxury weekend supplement on ethical fashion.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date version of the Chrome web browser
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
- Notepad and pen