Sustainable Fashion Design (Online Short Course)
Sustainability is now becoming part of mainstream fashion and instead of being seen as a challenge for the fashion industry it is being viewed as an opportunity. But how can designers choose ethical options and make decisions based on their environmental or social impact? This course provides an overview of sustainable fashion design practices, and how clothing can be designed for sustainability.
In this course, you will explore how the design process can include sustainable concepts, materials and circularity. Each week we will explore new approaches and you will be set a task in response. The following week you will receive personal feedback from your tutor, as well as having the chance to learn from seeing the work of your fellow students.
- Sustainable design concepts
- The changing role of the designer
- Key drivers for sustainability in fashion
- Sustainable materials
- The fashion supply chain
- Lifecycle of a fashion product
- Case studies of inspiring and successful sustainable fashion initiatives
- Mapping fashion systems and circularity
- Future trends within sustainable fashion
By the end of the course you will:
- Gain an understanding of the need for sustainability in relation to the fashion industry.
- Explored a range of design for sustainability methods within fashion.
- Gain an overview of new innovative sustainable materials for fashion.
- Understood the need and purpose of evolving the role of the fashion designer
- Understand the variety of ways in which fashion brands approach sustainability.
- Present a sustainable fashion concept to the group and receive tutor feedback
Who is Sustainable Fashion Design (Online Short Course) for
This course is for fashion designers, fashion students or fashion enthusiasts looking to gain an overview of sustainable fashion design.
Level: All levels welcome
Please note: This course is for learners aged 18 and over
Why choose a London College of Fashion Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Fashion wherever you are in the world. Additionally all LCF Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCF Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Online courses are not available to book on the day they start.
Previously the Founding Dean of the Dubai Institute of Design and Innovation, Sass Brown was also the Interim Dean for FIT’s School of Art and Design in New York. As a fashion designer with a background in sustainable development, Brown was an Associate Design Researcher on the MISTRA Future Fashion consortium and an advisor for Sustainia100. As a writer, educator, and activist, she has published papers and spoken around the world as well as served as a sustainable design advisor to women’s cooperatives, educational institutions, governmental agencies, NGO’s and SME’s. Her publications include the books Eco Fashion and ReFashioned, also published in Italian and Spanish, and a monthly article for the National UAE.’s Luxury weekend supplement on ethical fashion.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date version of the Chrome web browser
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
- Notepad and pen