Menswear Design (Online Short Course)
This course is an essential introduction to menswear design, for anyone wanting to design for this exciting and growing market. More and more men want to break away from conventional and formal looks, and express their personalities through the clothes they wear. This is creating demand for creative designs, whilst good fit with clever details and comfortable and stylish fabrics will always make a strong foundation for a menswear collection.
During this course, you will develop your own comprehensive menswear project, creating a range of designs. We will look at case studies of key players on the international scene in order to see how they put their ranges together. Then each week we will explore themes, choices of print and material, use of colour, silhouettes and manufacturing details so you can create and develop your own mood boards, colour palettes, flat drawings and illustrations.
- Key players and trends in the menswear market
- Moodboards and colour palettes
- Design details
- Research into materials, prints, and silhouettes
- Producing flat drawings from templates
- Drafting a collection
By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed your understanding of the menswear industry
- Communicated your design ideas back to the group, and received feedback
- Learnt how to illustrate your designs using industry-relevant techniques
- Drafted a complete collection of your own menswear designs
- Produced work that can contribute to a portfolio that can be used to enter industry or for further study
Who is Menswear Design (Online) for?
The course will provide an excellent introduction to Menswear design whether you have previous Fashion Design experience or are a complete beginner. The course will put you in an excellent position to further your studies, explore career options within Menswear, and to gain a better understanding of the Fashion Design industry as a whole.
Please Note: This course is for students aged 18 and over
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Florence Blall, studied fashion design and pattern cutting in France before completing her BA Fashion Design with menswear at Central St Martins. She has worked as designer for the like of Paul Smith and Kenzo, and as head designer for British kidswear label No Added Sugar. She is currently freelancing in both design and teaching in France as well as launching her own business.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- Notepad and pen
- Fashion, photography, interior design etc. magazines to be used to create moodboards
- Small cuttings of solid colour fabrics or yarns to create colour palettes
- Art materials that you feel confident drawing and colouring-up designs and silhouettes with (pencils, felt-tips, pantone markers, water-colours etc.)
As the course is online, you will also need to following basic computer equipment;
- A recent computer with a recent operating system
- An up-to-date web browser. (It would be advisable to ensure you have access to two separate web browsers eg Safari and Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome and Internet Explorer)
- Microphone (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended)
Finally, a good broadband connection is also recommended. (Mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle might not provide sufficient bandwidth).
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.