Lingerie and Swimwear Design (Online Short Course)
This course covers the design processes of lingerie and swimwear enabling you to design your own capsule collection. You will also gain valuable insights into the lingerie and swimwear industry, giving you a thorough understanding of the product cycle from concept design to manufacture and route to market.
You'll focus on research development, customer profiling, establishing a market position, concept development and exploring design details, creating a wishlist of fabrics/components for your design.
This course also includes trend forecasting and colour palette development to drive your collection build, with drawing tips and range planning. You will be working both independently and in groups, with regular group feedback.
Please note that this is a design based course and does not include any garment construction work or pattern cutting.
- Trend boards (colour pallet, product shape, product detail, fabrics/prints, design theme)
- Shop report (competitor analysis to help with your range planning)
- Marketing guide (how do your competitors market their designs?)
- Customer profile (what type of customer are you designing for?)
- Illustration guide (where to start, what materials to use)
- Finishing and terminology (understanding different types of finishing to build into your sketches)
- Collection build (designing your capsule collection)
- Understand next steps (route to manufacture, designer checklists, final e-presentation)
By the end of the course you should have;
- Used professional, structured techniques to research ideas
- Gained an understanding of your competitors and their marketing techniques
- Identified your target customer and their needs
- Used templates and illustration blocks to create your own designs
- Presented your flat drawings in a style summary sheet
- Become confident with the technical terminology relating to lingerie and swimwear design
- Created a collection of your own designs that can contribute to a portfolio or be taken to a manufacturer
- Presented your finished collection to the group
- Received personal feedback from your tutor, an industry expert
Who is Lingerie and Swimwear Design (Online) for
This course is perfect for anyone looking to make the first step and as a lingerie and swimwear designer, or who wants to learn more about this exciting branch of the fashion industry, whilst creating their own unique designs. All levels are welcome, but as this course is only four weeks, if you are new to fashion illustration you may wish to take our Fashion Illustration Online Short Course first to practice your techniques.
Level: All levels welcome
Please note: This course is for learners aged 18 and over.
Why choose an LCF Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Fashion wherever you are in the world. The real-time chat sessions are fully interactive allowing you to communicate easily with the tutor at the same time as fellow students. Additionally all LCF Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCF Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Nichole de Carle is a serial entrepreneur, having owned businesses in the Bodywear space for over a decade. She owns a group of businesses - from a Lingerie brand to a London design house and a new digital design customisation platform - that empowers entrepreneurs, influencers and brands to create cleverly curated collections across Bodywear & Activewear.
Founder of Product Development Lab, “London Contour Experts - “I set up a design house and bodywear consultancy, offering product development & commercial manufacturing solutions to Lingerie, Swimwear and Activewear brands on a global scale. We offer a unique service, creating designs from sketch to factory production, with a facility to manufacture product locally in London and further afield with off-shore partners.”
Bodywear Lab - Is a sister company to London Contour Experts. The business is a unique digital customisation platform to create Swimwear and Activewear collections. This next generation technology allows brands and influencers to be at the forefront of the design process, where they can create a range from an archive of commercial shapes, fabricate and personalise the branding to suit their customer. More than ever, people are leaving corporate jobs to follow their dreams of entrepreneurship, building out their hobbies or side hustles into profitable businesses. Bodywear Lab was established to help support this movement of successors.
Nichole is also Founder and Designer of Fierce and Fashionable Lingerie brand, named after her family name. Having worked as a Bodywear designer for fashion powerhouses Alexander McQueen, Donna Karan and then later at Sydney based lingerie specialists, Pleasure State. She was worked with an impressive list of A-list celebrities, including Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez and Rita Ora.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions
- A4 layout 45gsm paper pad
- Technical/mechanical pencil
- Fine black pens
- Materials for colour work in your preferred medium (e.g. coloured pencils, water soluble coloured pencils, felt tip pens etc)
- Notepad and pen for note taking