How To Design A Couture Collection
In this beginners course you will learn and develop drawing and design techniques used for creating a couture collection. Inks, pastels and markers will be used to render couture fabrics. Templates will be provided, although you may want to develop your own. By the end of your studies you will have produced a small portfolio of designs together with the appropriate fabrics.
- There will be lessons on how to render satins, voiles, and jacquards.
- Samples will be provided to inspire these collections.
- There will be external research visits related to couture designers and fabrics.
- You will get tuition on how to draw shoes and render hairstyles and make-up.
- A history of the development of haute couture to present day will further your knowledge of the subject.
Who should take this course?
Students and designers of all abilities and levels would benefit from this course.
Entry requirements: None
Level: All levels
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Maggie Doyle designed for many years in Paris, both in ready-to-wear and couture fashion. She taught for over ten years at Esmod in Paris and Lyon. More recently she has been teaching a number of courses at Central Saint Martins, including fashion drawing and couture fashion courses. She also currently works on her own designs and illustrations.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A good selection of the drawing materials and media that you currently use.
It would be useful to bring:
- HB and 2B pencils
- Gel pens, inks and markers
- A selection of A3 and A4 paper.