Fashion Design: Intensive (Online Short Course)
This two week intensive fashion design course has been designed to cover all the key elements of Introduction to Fashion Design alongside more advanced fashion design and fashion drawing techniques. It provides an introduction to the principles of fashion design and concentrates on the development of ideas from well explored research.
The course will include:
- Understanding the fashion design process
- Developing mood boards
- Fabric awareness
- Basic figure fashion drawing techniques
- Designing using model and draping techniques on the stand
- Developing a colour palette through an awareness of current trends and predictions
- Selecting appropriate fabrics for the market/designs developed
- Communicating your design ideas in a creative and logical way
- Discovering how to build a fashion collection that is well balanced and innovative
Find out more about tutor, Carlyn McGuire in our ‘Meet Our Tutors’ blog post.
Read our blog post with former student Tamara Vazquez who went on to set up her own bespoke bridalwear business.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- Certificate upon completion
Beginners. You should have an interest in the subject area and a desire to learn but no previous experience is required.
This course is for students aged 18 and older.
Feedback from students:
“My experience was mind-blowing. I am not lying or exaggerating, when I say Carlyn Maguire, [tutor] was by far one of the best teachers I ever had! I would totally recommend to this short course to anyone who's interested in fashion design or the fashion industry in general, because I’ve learned way more than I thought I would. Also, the course didn’t just cover fashion design, we were taught in fashion psychology, targeting the customers, fashion drawing, and more.” - Lysander
“The teacher was so inspiring and taught me so many new things! It taught me how to find inspiration to create a unique design! It was an unforgettable experience!” - Sara
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date version of the Google Chrome web browser
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Onsite Short Course Materials
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- A3 layout pad
- 2b Pencils
- Fine black fibre tip pens
- Glue stick
- Magic marker or brush pen in the skin colour of your choice
- Digital camera or high-quality phone camera
- Stainless steel pins
- Fabric scissors
- Paper scissors
These can be purchased from any good art shop/dressmaking shop. As part of your research you will be required to do some printing. Please bring a small amount of cash to the course on your first day to credit your printing account. It is unlikely you will need to spend more than £5.