Street Fashion for 16 to 18 Year Olds Short Course
Street Fashion and Streetwear, have become part of our global lexicon of style. With authentic origins in subculture, the street is where established and emerging designers and brands can find their creative voice. Rebellion, youth and D.I.Y attitude define street culture and street fashion. This course will introduce you to London street fashion as a source for inspiration and design, through socially distanced visits to museums, street markets and fashion hot spots.
The course will introduce students to basic techniques and approaches to the development and visualisation of design ideas for fashion including: research, concept building, illustration, 2D to 3D translation, hand making, customization, upcycling, textiles, image making and styling. Students will complete daily tasks, building a body of work that can contribute to portfolio building and preparation for further study. They will learn about fundamental techniques for Fashion design and methodologies used within industry, further and higher education.
Advice will be provided on application processes, portfolios and further study options at FE and HE level. The course is co-taught by visiting designers, fashion practitioners, working independently or with international brands, and graduates from Central Saint Martins
Entry requirements: You must be at least 16 and no older than 18 years old.
This course is on Instagram
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old only
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
Digital Credentials (badges and certificates)
Students will receive a UAL Short Courses digital badge and certificate on completion of the course. Digital credentials are a great way to celebrate your accomplishments and stand out from the crowd. Find out more about our digital badges and credentials.
Summer stays for 16 to 18 year olds
Did you know UAL accommodation is available for short course students during summer? We offer two packages both include accommodation, breakfast, and 24 hour Student Ambassador support.
Add to your experience with a Summer Stays Social Package
Available between 18 July 2022 and ends on 12 August 2022. This package includes an events calendar put on by our Social Programme with daily activities. Find out more.
Accommodation only - available between 30 June 2022 and ends on 27 August 2022.
Short course students also receive a discounted rate when booking. Find out more and book your place.
- The course is project based and will guide you through the design process to three dimensional customisation, deconstruction and reinvention, using vintage, recycled clothes and materials.
- Research methodologies and sketchbook techniques for fashion
- Introduction to CSM library and digital learning resources
- Research field trip to central London gallery or museum
- Advice will be given on portfolio preparation for further study at Foundation and degree level.
- Group and peer critiques
- Styling and presentation
- The course does not include patternmaking or machine sewing. However, students will be encouraged to experiment with hand-sewing, studding and simple embellishment techniques
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Drawing Kit - Pencils, Colour Pencils, Felt tip or Marker pens, Conte or Charcoal
- Camera or hi spec phone with camera (plus film/memory card/batteries)
- Personal laptop (this is not essential but if you do have a laptop please bring it along)
All other materials and specialist equipment will be provided by the college, including mannequins, individual sketchbooks, textiles and art and design mediums.
Meet the Tutor:
London is the 'street fashion' capital of the world. Many international fashion designers look to London as a source of inspiration and ideas. It is a rich cultural melting-pot that has provided a unique background to some of fashion's most famous trends.
- Central Saint Martins
- Telephone +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- Address 1 Granary Square King's Cross London N1C 4AA
college: Central Saint MartinsMake an enquiry
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Central Saint Martins
- Short Courses
- +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- 1 Granary Square
- King's Cross
- N1C 4AA