Childrenswear Design Online Short Course
Kidswear has, for too long, been perceived by the fashion elite as a by-product of its adult counterpart. Now, most luxury brands are launching kidswear collections alongside adult fashion, and young and emerging specialist brands are approaching kidswear design with a mix of sophistication and fun. This course will teach you about this exciting, growing market, provide the technical skills to create stunning designs, and result in a comprehensive kidswear project to be presented in a portfolio.
Who is Childrenswear Design Online Short Course for?
The course is excellent if you are considering a career in Childswear or want to get a better understanding of the emerging kidswear market. The course is a beginner level course.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- Key players on the international scene of Childrenswear
- Moodboards and extracting colour palettes from them
- Fabrics, details and design shapes for the kidswear market
- Prints for the kidswear market
- Flat drawings from templates
- Silhouette Design
- Prints for the kidswear market
By the end of the course you will;
- Understand the Kidswear Market and know its major players
- Recognise how successful Kidswear ranges are put together
- Know how to root your designs in the specific world of childhood, rather than making children mini versions of adults
- Complete your own observational research
- Produce a comprehensive kidswear project to present in your portfolio
- Present your finished project to the group
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Fashion (both kids and adults), photography, interior design etc. magazines that can be used to create moodboards
- Small cuttings of solid colour fabrics or yarns to create colour palettes
- Art materials that you feel confident drawing and colouring-up designs and silhouettes with (pencils, felt-tips, pantone markers, water-colours etc.)
Meet the Tutor:
This course will teach you about this exciting, growing market, provide the technical skills to create stunning designs, and result in a comprehensive kidswear project to be presented in a portfolio.