Lingerie and Swimwear Design Online Short Course
This course covers the design processes of lingerie and swimwear enabling you to design your own capsule collection. You will also gain valuable insights into the lingerie and swimwear industry, giving you a thorough understanding of the product cycle from concept design to manufacture and route to market.
You'll focus on research development, customer profiling, establishing a market position, concept development and exploring design details, creating a wishlist of fabrics/components for your design.
This course also includes trend forecasting and colour palette development to drive your collection build, with drawing tips and range planning. You will be working both independently and in groups, with regular group feedback.
Please note that this is a design based course and does not include any garment construction work or pattern cutting.
By the end of the course you should have;
- Used professional, structured techniques to research ideas
- Gained an understanding of your competitors and their marketing techniques
- Identified your target customer and their needs
- Used templates and illustration blocks to create your own designs
- Presented your flat drawings in a style summary sheet
- Become confident with the technical terminology relating to lingerie and swimwear design
- Created a collection of your own designs that can contribute to a portfolio or be taken to a manufacturer
- Presented your finished collection to the group
- Received personal feedback from your tutor, an industry expert
Who is Lingerie and Swimwear Design (Online) for
This course is perfect for anyone looking to make the first step and as a lingerie and swimwear designer, or who wants to learn more about this exciting branch of the fashion industry, whilst creating their own unique designs. This course is inclusive of male and gender-neutral designs.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Trend boards (colour pallet, product shape, product detail, fabrics/prints, design theme)
- Shop report (competitor analysis to help with your range planning)
- Marketing guide (how do your competitors market their designs?)
- Customer profile (what type of customer are you designing for?)
- Illustration guide (where to start, what materials to use)
- Finishing and terminology (understanding different types of finishing to build into your sketches)
- Collection build (designing your capsule collection)
- Understand next steps (route to manufacture, designer checklists, final e-presentation)
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions
- A4 layout 45gsm paper pad
- Technical/mechanical pencil
- Fine black pens
- Materials for colour work in your preferred medium (e.g. coloured pencils, water soluble coloured pencils, felt tip pens etc)
- Notepad and pen for note taking
Meet the Tutor:
In this online short course, you will gain valuable insight into the lingerie and swimwear design industry, giving you a thorough understanding of the product cycle. You will develop practical skills that will help you in your career or business.