Draping Womenswear Design
Discover how to use draping as an experimental, intuitive and playful tool that will help you come up with fashion ideas. In this beginners course you will learn how to find inspiration and visualise your concepts quickly by simply working with fabric and pins on a dummy-figure. But that's not all.
You will also complete a a portfolio of pictures of 3D work that will be so valuable if you are applying for a foundation or BA course in fashion. Plus, your portfolio of designs can potentially form the beginnings of your fashion collection.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Fabrics you like (at least 2 metres of each fabric)
- Old clothes (optional)
- 2 Scissors (1 for fabric & 1 for paper)
- Pen and pencils
- Camera (very important!)
- Tape measure
- You will undertake your own visual research before you start to drape and sketch.
- By twisting, folding, gathering and layering fabric you will learn how you can get the most amazing results.
- Working in a sketchbook as well as working with fabric on a dummy will help you to develop and build up your ideas for shapes and details for a fashion collection.
- Your collection will be made into a presentation for your portfolio at the end of the course.
The course will use a variety of learning methods. These will include:
- tutor input and feedback
- student individual work on their projects
- group discussions
- guided research in the library
Meet the Tutor:
In this beginners course, discover how to use draping as an experimental, intuitive and playful tool that will help you come up with fashion ideas. Find inspiration and visualise your concepts quickly by working with fabric and pins on a mannequin.