Fashion Communication Residential Summer School for 16 to 18 Year Olds
This residential workshop is aimed at teenagers who dare to be different, have an opinion and an interest in Fashion Communication. This workshop will stimulate and challenge you in the same way fashion students at CSM are stretched every day.
The Fashion Communication workshop will introduce you to using image and text to create compelling stories about fashion. The course will focus on both written and visual communication; you will develop concepts for a specific audience and explore image-making and journalism for both print and digital. This workshop will stimulate and challenge you in the same way fashion students at CSM are stretched every day.
While on the course, you will develop your research skills while examining contemporary and historical magazine resources and gaining an understanding of the genres of fashion imaging and storytelling. The course will include individual and group project work, so that the full depth of the subject area can be realised. While on the course, you will also gain exposure to the career options available within this field.
This course has been created by a programme leader on Central Saint Martins’ own Fashion Communication programmes and modelled on aspects of these same courses. While on this course you will be nurtured to become the innovative, informed, responsible communicators and promotors that are central to the industry’s future.
Designed specifically for students that have an interest in fashion and developing their own personal creativity, the project work and research will encourage sketchbook work and developing ideas for your portfolio. The pace of the course will be dynamic so that you can immerse yourself in the variety of activities that are included within the study of fashion communication.
During the two weeks you will explore the following subjects, all supported by the relevant talks and discussions:
- Working to a brief
- Using research skills to put together a fashion communication project
- How to use a variety of different materials and methodologies in your work
- Documenting and photographing your work for presentation
- How to develop an idea from research, through experimentation, to a final design outcome
This course has been designed to be an exciting and unique experience for any 16-18 year-old who is:
- Interested in developing their own creativity
- Wishing to explore fashion communication
- Building a portfolio for future studies
- Keen to work with students of different nationalities
- Wishing to develop their skills in communicating ideas
- Experience life as a student in London
- Experience the energy and vibrancy of London as a world city including off-site visits to galleries and places of interest.
- Guest lecturers including specialist practitioners, associate lecturers and past students
- Certificates of attendance
- Guidance on the application process for the UAL
- Single rooms with Ensuite at Sketch House, UAL Halls of residence
- Breakfast included at Sketch House, UAL Halls of residence
- 13 nights total at Sketch House (check in Sunday before / check out final Saturday)
- 24x7 helpline and overnight Summer School Representatives
- Evening and weekend social activities to galleries and places of interest
- Accompanied travel between the halls of residence and CSM’s Archway campus
- Pre-paid travel card for local transport across London for week 2 of the course
The studio for the Fashion Communication residential course are at Central Saint Martins’ Archway campus in North London, which is home to the fashion Foundation Studies. Accommodation is nearby at Sketch House halls of residence in Finsbury Park. Both locations are within easy reach both of Central Saint Martins’ main campus at Kings Cross and everything else that London has to offer as a world centre of fashion in terms of exhibitions and galleries. Programmed activities during evenings and weekends, including gallery visits and events, will ensure that students are able to make the most of these resources. Please note that accommodation at Sketch House will only include breakfast, and does not cover lunch or dinner. However there is a range of options available to students very close at hand in Archway and Finsbury Park.
Accommodation will be provided from Sunday 2 August - Saturday 15 August and the course will be delivered from Monday 3 August - Friday 14 August.
- Residential Summer School for 16 to 18 Year Olds Promotional Video on YouTube
- Residential Summer School for 16 to 18 Year Olds Course Handbook (PDF 14900KB)
- Booking Terms and Conditions PDF
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old only
To be confirmed soon.
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.