Cool Hunting Fashion Online Short Course
Fashion trends; what is a trend, how do trends develop, what's new, what's it all about? This course introduces you to the contemporary landscape of fashion trend predictions. Coolhunting and Fashion Forecasting is increasingly important to many large companies, small designer/makers and crucial to the international fashion industry. If you are eager to learn about the emergence of trends, methodologies and factors influencing global fashion trends, this course is a must. You will examine the art and science of trend predictions, participate in trend scouting, examination of trend sources and be introduced to key places where trend prediction teams seek out new, emerging and underground influences: Art galleries, museums, retail, digital and print platforms, vintage clothing, social media, street markets etc.
Through online and contextual research, street photography, critical analysis, reading and field trips, students will devise and complete a speculative visual Trend Report, identifying an emerging global fashion trend. You will learn about trend predictions for fashion and inside information about methodologies used in industry for trend spotting.
Who is Cool Hunting Fashion Online Short Course for?
This course is essential for anyone who wants to understand how fashion trends develop in the modern world. You may work, or aspire to work, in fashion media, fashion retail, or dream of starting your own fashion business or label. Whatever your aim, a solid understanding of fashion trends will be vital to your career.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Camera –(digital SLR cameras or advanced 'compact' digital camera)
- The ability to upload images from your camera to your computer (e.g. USB cable or SD cards and card reader)
- Notebook – A4 or A5 size
- Selection of pens and pencils
- Access to contemporary fashion magazines
- Please allow for entrance costs to galleries and museums (you will be encouraged to visit current exhibitions throughout the course)
- Introduction to Coolhunting, Fashion Trend Predictions and Forecasting (Womenswear, Menswear, Accessories, Footwear)
- Review and analysis of contemporary fashion trend sources
- Research into Coolhunting, sourcing, research methodologies, subject specific text, websites, social media platforms etc.
- Field trips to worldwide Trend Hotspots locations: Fashion retail, museums, contemporary art and fashion exhibitions, street markets, vintage / charity shops, etc.
- Street style photography
- Weekly research tasks
- On-line group critiques and discussion
- Development and presentation of visual Trend Report
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Identify and summarize trends
- Use street style to find trends
- Use fashion media (books, websites, magazines, etc.) to identify and research trends
- Understand how fashion media influences current trends
- Interpret fashion as a response to contemporary culture
- Understand how cultural influences (art, galleries, museums etc.) impact fashion trends
- Develop your unique fashion trend proposal
- Present your fashion trend findings to a group in a coherent and professional way
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course will explore everything there is to know about fashion trends, coolhunting and fashion forecasting. You will get inside information about methodologies used in the industry and create your own fashion Trend Report.