Visual Merchandising and Display (Online Short Course)
Visual merchandising is an essential element of fashion retail marketing, and is the art of designing product displays and shopping experiences that delight customers and maximise sales. This visual merchandising training course will give you a comprehensive overview of the practical techniques and methods that are being used in the industry today, and is led by a visual merchandiser who regularly consults for top brands.
Each week, you will learn a different element of visual merchandising, and will then be given practical assignments to test your skills using the medium of your choice (Photoshop, Illustrator, hand sketching, 3D models, etc.) to create great windows and store layout concepts. You will apply all the core skills of visual merchandising, from using colour and arrangement to capture attention, lighting techniques, use of graphics, styling mannequins, point of sale displays, seasonal displays, and sale and clearance promotions.
By the end of the course, you will have built up an impressive portfolio of fashion window designs and in-store displays, which will help you showcase your skills and personal style to potential clients or employers.
- Basic principles of window dressing and visual merchandising
- Store visual merchandising and product presentation methods
- Building and creating your own Window Designs using your choice of program / medium
- Current trends in the retail industry in London
- Merchandise selection and accessories
- Merchandising techniques for garments, shoes and accessories
- Customer flow and the importance of store layout
- Colour, POS and lighting
- Mannequin handling and styling
- Creating an effective Sale & Clearance campaign
- Lisa-Marie, former student
- Craig, former student
By the end of this course you will have learnt to;
- Developed a good understanding of the key Visual Merchandising principles
- Practised using colour, lighting and graphics in your displays
- Learnt techniques to create 'hotspots' or promotions space
- Gained an understanding of how to use floor layouts for excellent customer flow
- Researched current merchandising trends and used these to inspire your own displays
- Considered how to make your displays correspond with a brand identity
- Learnt to create strong messages from your displays
- Created a range of your own displays, and presented these to the group
- Received hints and tips on the industry from your tutor
Who is Visual Merchandising and Display (Online) for
This course be excellent for anyone wanting to explore the role a Visual Merchandiser, learn to create their own stunning and provocative visual displays, and to anyone looking to find a way in to this this interesting and rewarding career.
Level: All levels welcome
Please note: This course is for learners aged 18 and over.
Why choose an LCF Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Fashion wherever you are in the world. The real-time chat sessions are fully interactive allowing you to communicate easily with the tutor at the same time as fellow students. Additionally all LCF Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCF Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Sarah Manning has over 20 years industry experience after working for retailers Harrods, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols and Marks & Spencer. Sarah has run her freelance business for over 12 years working for a selection of London based retail and department stores, as well as retail clients overseas - offering freelance services in Visual Merchandising training and consultancy. Her work includes planning and installing in-store promotions, consulting on product presentation and store layout principles, designing and installing window concepts.
Sarah teach’ s the online Visual Merchandising and Window Display courses for the UAL, as well as the short Visual Merchandising Courses for both London College of Fashion & Central Saint Martins.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions