Fashion Buying and Merchandising - Buying Techniques Online Short Course
Trend-led fashion is all about capturing key looks from the catwalk to the high street, as quickly as possible and at an affordable price. The buyer and merchandiser for any retailer will play a key role in making this happen. The course will cover how buying and merchandising teams plan and strategise for the season ahead, how they work with the supply chain to design and manufacture quickly and inexpensively, and always strive to stay ahead of the competition.
You will also learn the differences between buying and merchandising private labels vs brands for multi-brand stores, the importance of social media and the future of commercial fashion. This course uses real-life up-to-date case studies and practical assignments for you to develop your skills.
By the end of this course you will have;
- Developed a strong understanding of the roles of fashion buyers and merchandisers
- Learnt how buying techniques and fashion trading leads to successful fashion business
- An understanding of how buyers and merchandisers use in-season trading to make the newest trends available to their customers
- Realised the importance of trends and how buyers and merchandisers react to them effectively
- An understanding of effective buying and merchandising strategies
- Received personal feedback and insider knowledge from an industry expert
Who Should attend
This course is essential if you want to gain in-depth knowledge of the techniques used by fashion buyers and merchandisers to drive profits and develop successful fashion retail brands. You should have some experience of the fashion industry, and some experience of buying and merchandising is helpful, but not essential.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
- Roles of the buyer and merchandiser
- Fashion retailers and brands
- Planning - strategy and budgets
- Competitor shopping and SWOT analysis
- Buying - range planning, sourcing new brands and suppliers
- Reacting to trends (from the catwalk to the high street)
- Trading and stock management
- WSSI (Weekly Sales Stock Intake) and OTB (Open To Buy)
Meet the Tutor:
This Buying and Merchandising online short course looks at buying techniques in the fashion industry. You will develop up-to-date practical skills and knowledge in this exciting field. Take your career or business to the next level.