Introduction to the Fashion Industry (Online Short Course)
Do you want to learn how to get into the fashion industry? This online course will give you an orientation to all the main stages of the fashion business, from branding and design, through garment manufacturing and the supply chain to the changing face of fashion marketing and retail, equipping you with an excellent industry overview.
You will look at where industry trends come from, how the high street and high end designers manufacture their product, how marketing and PR are crucial elements and the changing world of fashion retailing. In addition, you’ll explore fashion startups, brand USPs and the role of the fashion journalist.
Through weekly class discussions, set tasks and readings you will develop an understanding and awareness of the state of the industry today and what the future might hold for fashion. This practical course will encourage you to think outside the box and consider creative solutions to problems facing the fashion industry, such as ethical production and issues faced by emerging brands.
This course will give you insight into an industry that can often seem tough to crack, equipping you on your way towards your goals. Whether you dream of starting your own fashion business or of having a career at an established company in the fashion world, this online course is for you.
- History of the fashion industry
- How is fashion created, designed and developed?
- Who is the consumer? Changing consumer demand
- The changing world of fashion retailing
- Trend forecasting
- Buying, merchandising, and range planning
- Manufacturing methods and production issues
- The supply chain – sourcing and manufacturing
- Sustainability and ethical production
- Fashion marketing and branding
- Fashion communications - editorial styling, PR, and journalism
- A guide to fashion start ups
- High street and high-end production
- Careers and business opportunities available in the industry
- What you need to survive in the industry
By the end of the course you will have an understanding of;
- The roles within the fashion industry at each level
- What you need to successfully work in fashion
- Trend forecasting
- The fashion supply chain
- Fashion marketing and PR
Who is Introduction to the Fashion Industry (Online Short Course) for?
This course is perfect for anyone who would like to start a business of career in the fashion world. It will give you insight into the many careers available within the fashion industry, so whether your goal is to be a manufacturer, buyer, designer or any of the other various careers that go on in fashion, there’s something for you.
Why choose an LCF Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Fashion wherever you are in the world. The real-time chat sessions are fully interactive allowing you to communicate easily with the tutor at the same time as fellow students. Additionally all LCF Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCF Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Eddie is a highly successful and respected fashion accessories buying manager with a wealth of experience in buying and merchandising for branded luxury for multi brand department stores, premium and luxury brands as well as premium own label brands.
Experienced in creating destination retail concepts for example strategically taking House of Fraser accessories from a high street own label offer to one of the largest premium and luxury offers within the UK. Eddie has built successful working relationships with numerous luxury brands including Hermes, Cartier, Gucci, Prada, YSL, Chloe, Givenchy, Mulberry, Anya Hindmarch, Paul Smith Michael Kors, to name a few. Working with these brands on both an own bought, concession and branded shopfit basis.
As well as teaching Eddie works with various international fashion brands and retailers on a consultancy basis.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- Notepad and pen
In addition to the materials listed above, you will need:
- A recent computer with a recent operating system
- An up-to-date web browser. (It would be advisable to ensure you have access to two separate web browsers eg Safari and Mozilla Firefox or
- Google Chrome and Internet Explorer)
- Microphone (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended)
Finally, a good broadband connection is also recommended. (Mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle might not provide sufficient bandwidth).
Further information on the online learning system requirements