How To Start Your Own Fashion Business
If you have ever had the dream of having your own fashion company, why not start to make that dream come true? This course will get you started, showing you how to develop your business ideas. Throughout the course there will be lectures and workshops which will inform you about the process of setting up a fashion business. The course covers creative as well as business aspects. Individual advice and guidance is given during a project tailored to your requirements. You will be provided with lecture notes and given feedback on your work throughout the course.
You will need to bring a laptop or tablet to each session.
- We begin the course with a complete overview of the fashion industry and where you can fit in with a chance to succeed.
- You will learn how to research very carefully who your target market will be.
- You will need to research who your competition will be so that you can provide your customer with something unique and special.
- We will explore design fabric, costing, market positioning, social media networking
- Finally, we will consider how to attract buyers and make a profit..
You will be expected to give a short presentation at the end of the course. This presentation will become your own portfolio of work. You will receive a certificate of attendance from Central Saint Martins once you complete the course.
Who should take this course?
- The course is suitable for those with no knowledge of the fashion industry as well as those with some previous experience.
- Even if you have no intention of setting up business straight away, you may find that this course helps you to explore career paths within fashion.
- In the past, many fashion students who took this course went on to start their own business.
This course is taught by a different tutor depending on the course dates offered. Tutors' biographies are provided below. If you need to know which tutor is running a specific course, contact our office on email@example.com or ring 0207 514 7015.
Entry requirements: None
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Mr. Bryan (PG Cert, AFHEA) has over 20 years experience in the Fashion industry as a Fashion Designer showcasing luxurious collections globally at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week and also as a Freelance Public Relations Consultant in Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle, as well as a stint in Corporate PR.
Arming his students with the tools needed to succeed in the fashion industry, Mr. Bryan's pedagogical approach is heavily informed by his personal experiences and the real-life case studies of existing creative individuals and businesses.
Jennifer Williams-Baffoe is an international fashion and creative industry business consultant and has worked for many organisations such as The Fashion and Textiles Museum, The British Fashion Council and The British Apparel and Textile Confederation. Jennifer is a short course tutor at Central Saint Martins and The London College of Fashion and is the author of The British Fashion Councils Designer Manufacturer Handbook. Jennifer is also a consultant for the United Nations on their Ethical Fashion Initiative Project
Lynnette Murphy has had a successful Design Consultancy and worked in Fashion Forecasting for many years. In the past Lynnette has been a consultant and advisor to large fashion companies like Debenhams, BHS and Next. She has also worked internationally in Hong Kong for G2000 and India for Levis Strauss. She has worked as a designer, illustrator and product developer. She runs two very popular short courses at Central Saint Martins where Lynnette has been teaching for the last 8 years. For more information please take a look at: www.lynnettemurphy.co.uk
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A4 file
- A laptop or tablet.