Cool Hunting Fashion (Online)
Fashion trends; what is a trend, how do trends develop, what's new, what's it all about? This course introduces you to the contemporary landscape of fashion trend predictions. Coolhunting and Fashion Forecasting is increasingly important to many large companies, small designer/makers and crucial to the international fashion industry. If you are eager to learn about the emergence of trends, methodologies and factors influencing global fashion trends, this course is a must. You will examine the art and science of trend predictions, participate in trend scouting, examination of trend sources and be introduced to key places where trend prediction teams seek out new, emerging and underground influences: Art galleries, museums, retail, digital and print platforms, vintage clothing, social media, street markets etc.
Through online and contextual research, street photography, critical analysis, reading and field trips, students will devise and complete a speculative visual Trend Report, identifying an emerging global fashion trend. You will learn about trend predictions for fashion and inside information about methodologies used in industry for trend spotting.
- Introduction to Coolhunting, Fashion Trend Predictions and Forecasting (Womenswear, Menswear, Accessories, Footwear)
- Review and analysis of contemporary fashion trend sources
- Research into Coolhunting, sourcing, research methodologies, subject specific text, websites, social media platforms etc.
- Field trips to worldwide Trend Hotspots locations: Fashion retail, museums, contemporary art and fashion exhibitions, street markets, vintage / charity shops, etc.
- Street style photography
- Weekly research tasks
- On-line group critiques and discussion
- Development and presentation of visual Trend Report
By the end of this course you will be able to;
- Identify and summarize trends
- Use street style to find trends
- Use fashion media (books, websites, magazines, etc.) to identify and research trends
- Understand how fashion media influences current trends
- Interpret fashion as a response to contemporary culture
- Understand how cultural influences (art, galleries, museums etc.) impact fashion trends
- Develop your unique fashion trend proposal
- Present your fashion trend findings to a group in a coherent and professional way
Who is Cool Hunting Fashion (Online) for
This course is essential for anyone who wants to understand how fashion trends develop in the modern world. You may work, or aspire to work, in fashion media, fashion retail, or dream of starting your own fashion business or label. Whatever your aim, a solid understanding of fashion trends will be vital to your career
Please note: This course is for learners aged 18 and over
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Daniela is a womenswear designer, print designer and creative consultant. She has worked both in London and abroad for luxury fashion houses and brands as well as tutoring at Central Saint Martins. Glaswegian born Daniela Bomba began her studies at Ravensbourne college of Art, design and communication then completed her Masters in Fashion womenswear at the prestigious Central Saint Martins under the guidance of Professor OBE Louise Wilson. She has worked for various fashion labels including Jonathan Saunders, Luella, Maria Francesca Pepe.
A consultant to several brands including Adam Andrascik, Selfridges creative windows and brands in Eastern Europe and Asia, Daniela also teaches womenswear on the fashion folio course at Central Saint Martins.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Camera –(digital SLR cameras or advanced 'compact' digital camera)
- The ability to upload images from your camera to your computer (e.g. USB cable or SD cards and card reader)
- Notebook – A4 or A5 size
- Selection of pens and pencils
- Access to contemporary fashion magazines
- Please allow for entrance costs to galleries and museums (you will be encouraged to visit current exhibitions throughout the course)