Colour in Fashion Online Short Course
Colour defines fashion. It is the most influential factor in purchasing decisions. We all speak colour all the time, but colour can be complicated and needs careful management. On this short course you will learn how to understand the role of colour in fashion and how colour can be managed to achieve the best desired outcome, both essential skills for anyone working in the fashion industry.
You will learn how to use colour management skills in a range of practical contexts, from colour forecasting and creating colour palettes to final colour approvals and everything in between to help you stand out in your area of work. You will also be introduced to colour psychology, its importance for fashion trends and the influence of colour in customer purchasing decisions.
Each week will start with a lively online workshop and discussion, followed by an individual assignment you will complete during the week by applying the skills to your current projects and situations. The following week the tutor will give personal feedback on your work and introduce the next techniques and concepts.
By the end of this course you will have a greater understanding of the meaning of colour in design, which you can apply to a wide range of projects regardless of your craft or role. This course is ideal for individuals working in any area of the fashion industry. It would also be beneficial to fashion students or anyone else at the start of their career looking to develop their understanding of colour in fashion.
By the end of the course you will have;
- A good understanding of colour psychology, colour perception and the ability to use colour with confidence
- A good understanding on colour approvals, colour standards and lab dips
- Developed confidence in using light boxes, light sources and communicating colour comments accurately
- A clear idea on colour management systems and related products and services available to support the fashion industry
- A good understanding on colour terminology and definitions
- A good knowledge of visual colour assessment Vs instrumental colour assessment
Who is Colour in Fashion (Online Short Course) for?
This course is perfect for designers, buyers, technologists, merchandiser and anyone else in the fashion industry. It would also be ideal for anyone who has an interest in fashion, whether they are a textile or fashion student, a new graduate, or anyone else looking to start a career in the fashion industry.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
- Understanding colour and its importance in fashion
- Colour associations, tones, tints and shades
- The colour wheel; a guide to colour coordination, colour matching and colour blocking
- Colour psychology
- Defining physical and electronic colour standards
- Understanding lab dips, bulk dips, print strike offs and its importance
- Carrying out colour assessment and approvals and key factors to consider
- Colour evaluation; understanding light sources, using and maintaining light boxes
- Conditioning viewing cabinets
- Identify metamerism, colour perception, colour constancy, appearance and variations due to secondary effects
- Understanding instrumental colour measurement and interpreting colour data for digital colour approvals
- What to and how to communicate colour comments when approving/rejecting lab dips and requesting resubmissions
- Understanding colour attributes; Hue, Chroma and Saturation, Colour space and the CIE system which defines colour vision, illuminants and measurement
- Establishing an effective colour management process, and SOP to reduce colour related lead-times, costs and to improve colour consistency and reproducibility
- Products and services available to support colour in fashion industry
- Influence of colour in consumer purchasing decisions
- Colour vision tests and their importance when working in fashion
Meet the Tutor:
On this short course you will learn how to understand the role of colour in fashion and how colour can be managed to achieve the best desired outcome, both essential skills for anyone working in the fashion industry.