Making Zines The Art of DIY And Self publication for 16 to 18 Year Olds Short Course
During this short course we will cover designing publication layouts, curating content, and other specialist skills such as bookbinding and typography, to produce a completed, handmade zine.
You will learn through exploration and research, experimentation and bringing your personal interests on board. There will be several small projects that culminate in creating your own individually designed zine.
What is a zine?
A zine (short for magazine or fanzine - pronounced “zeen”) is usually a low-cost, self-made publication that can showcase anything. They can be traced back to science fiction fans in the 1950’s and the British punk movement of the 1970’s. They are now made and distributed by artists, illustrators and designers alike.
Who should attend this course?
This course is ideal for young students looking to study illustration, graphics, design or fine art. An interest in art and design is preferable but no previous knowledge is necessary.
Please note: this course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old
By the end of this course students should:
- Have worked on a project that will enhance your portfolio by integrating many skills in one final work.
- Find a platform to visually showcase work of any interest and area (presentation - open to any interest or area).
- Produce a body of work that includes research, experimentation, making and to develop a project from beginning to end.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way that’s clear and easy to understand.
Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to complement your cv.
- Image making
- Putting a publication together from scratch
Please bring to the course:
- A magazine (any type or style that interests you)
Meet the Tutor:
During this course you will learn how to produce your own zine through a hands-on, non-digital approach. You will experiment with formats, techniques and different ways of making work including self-led and short group projects.
- Central Saint Martins
- Telephone +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- Address 1 Granary Square King's Cross London N1C 4AA
college: Central Saint MartinsMake an enquiry
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Central Saint Martins
- Short Courses
- +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- 1 Granary Square
- King's Cross
- N1C 4AA