In recent times letterpress has enjoyed a big revival along with a host of other traditional skills. Industry trained tutor Helen Ingham has been at the forefront of this revival and has featured in numerous design publications while continuing to produce a variety of innovative work. During this course, a small group of students are taken through three areas of letterpress work in the unique Central Saint Martins Letterpress Workshop.
Please wear flat strong shoes - no open toes, sandals or flipflops. Be prepared to get inky!
- Following an introduction and examples of other practitioners' work, there will be an explanation of the hand setting of moveable metal type, and a joint project will be set.
- Following projects involve the use of larger wooden type with a versatile and experimental range of print processes. You are welcome to bring letterpress printing blocks of your own for use if suitable; these can be wood, metal, lino, laser cut wood or photopolymer.
- Under supervision, blocks and type will be set for printing on a variety of presses.
- The course includes instruction on Adana 8x5 table top printing press, Vandercook proof press, and Beevers hydraulic platen press, with one-to-one instruction where needed.
- You will be provided with notes and additional suggested reading and will take home a selection of distinctive printed items.
Previous students who have attended this course have gained enough confidence to develop their own letterpress workshops and are now successful printers in their own right.
Meet the Tutor:
In recent times letterpress has enjoyed a big revival along with a host of other traditional skills. During this course students are taken through three areas of letterpress work in the unique Central Saint Martin Letterpress Workshop.