Infographics Design (Online Short Course)
Infographics work visually - conveying complex information quickly, persuasively and in an engaging way. This course takes you through the process of turning your raw data into a compelling visual story which speaks clearly to your audiences. You will learn how to understand your dataset, develop different narratives for different audiences, frame your story in visual form and tailor it to your audience to maximise the impact of your design.
Each week you will be given a different project task to complete in your own time and then, upload the following week for constructive and personal feedback during the live session.
- History and theory behind Infographic Design
- Narrative and sequence
- Identifying intention
- Charting best practice
- Information Design and hierarchies of information
- Telling stories with data
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Apply Information Design theory to your designs
- Understand what makes for best practice in Infographics
- Generate your ideas through professional techniques such as wire-framing
- Incorporate narratives into your Infographic designs
Who is Infographics Design (Online) for
This course beginner to intermediate level, and is ideal for anyone with information to communicate visually. This course would be of interest to designers who want to develop their knowledge and experience of infographic design. You may also work with information for policy, business, campaigns or be responsible for commissioning design work.
Please note: this course is for students aged 18 and over
Why choose a CSM online learning short course?
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Laura Knight has worked as a graphic design both freelance and in agencies since 2005. In 2013 she became Design Director at Data Design Studios, leading in the delivery of data-driven projects for global clients. In 2016 she left the studio to pursue an MA in Communication Design at Kingston University. She currently works for the Guardian delivering bespoke data visualisation training for brands and organisations all over the world and lectures part time at Kingston and Bucks universities. She maintains her own creative practice as a designer working on information, graphic design and socially focused projects.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions