Infographics work visually - conveying complex information quickly, persuasively and in an engaging way. This infographic design course is great for anyone who is beginning to work with information design and data visualisation or anyone wants to develop their knowledge and understanding of the fundamental principles of this practice.
Whether you're working on a professional presentation or a personal project, communicating your findings is often faster and more compelling with an infographic. This introductory course offers an overview of the information design process - how to understand the dataset, brainstorm different angles the data or narrative may allow, frame the story in visual form and tailor it to your audience to maximise the impact of your design.
- Key principles of information design
- Narrative and storytelling
- Framing data or narrative for the target audience
- Data visualisation
- Maximising design
By the end of this course you should:
- Understand the creative journey that turns a raw set of data into a compelling infographic
- Have a knowledge of the editorial process associated with information design
- Have gained an insight into the fundamental principles of designing an inspiring and stimulating infographic story and some experience of the practical application of these principles
This course is taught through tutor-guidedworkshops with some short presentations. You will look at and discuss a number of examples of infographic storytelling from posters to animations.
You will then take part in hands-on tasks to apply the principles and learning covered in the introductory elements, and discuss the work completed as a group, refine and develop it collaboratively. This is not a software/technical course so after its completion you may want to take a course in digital software design to bring your ideas to life.
Who Should Attend
You do not need any previous design experience. You may work with information for policy, business of campaigns or be responsible for commissioning information design work. This course could be of interest to designers who want to establish fundamental knowledge and experience of information design, but they should be aware that this is an introductory-level session.
Follow Up Courses
After you have completed this course you may want to advance your skills on Data Visualisation: Advanced.
Alternative Study Options
- This course is also available as an online course: Information Design and Data Visualisation (Online)
- We also offer bespoke infographic courses for groups, individuals and businesses. To find out more, visit our Customised Training page
"I thought the teacher was very engaging and I thoroughly enjoyed the class. I learned a lot and was very pleased with the day."
"Very practical and enjoyable."
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.