Digital Typographic Design Online Short Course
This course gives you a sound introduction to creating typographic designs with Adobe Creative Cloud applications—predominantly Illustrator and InDesign—in a Mac-based digital studio. You will be taught by a practising graphic design professional with 15 years teaching experience at London College of Communication.
You will develop practical skills and explore digital techniques within the context of contemporary graphic design, with an emphasis on the experimental and the exploratory. You will do practical studio workshop activities and be introduced to the history of 20th century type, and typographic designers.
By the end of the course you will have a series of designs to enrich your portfolio, with new confidence and skills to develop for your own practice.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Create new typographic designs in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
- Understand the history and theory behind current typographic design
- Have the confidence and skill to develop your own practice
Who Should Attend
Students, professionals and enthusiasts with some related creative experience who love type and want to improve their digital typographic practice.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
- notebook and pen "
Please bring for the first session:
- Typographic abstraction
- Type as image
- Exploring negative space with form and counter-form
- Modular type design
- Bespoke typography
- Exhibition catalogue and poster design
- History and critical analysis of 20th century type, and typographic designers
Meet the Tutor:
Discover Digital Typography Design short course and learn to make your own typefaces, fonts and logos using Adobe InDesign and Illustrator.