Introduction to Magazine Layout
This Mac-based course is aimed at beginners with an interest in print-based independent magazine design and requires a working knowledge of Adobe InDesign. Utilising InDesign, you will learn about the main aspects of magazine layout, working with grids, layout, type and image. Short subject-related lectures will form the basis for experimentation. They will guide you through the process of designing sample double page spreads of your magazine step by step.
Who should take this course?
This introductory course suits students interested in understanding the process of print-based magazine layout from a practice based standpoint.
Those looking to develop their knowledge of the printed page would also benefit.
The course is an opportunity for you to:
- work with your own content to explore a chosen topic or area of interest
- understand Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator file formats for importing into InDesign
- receive advice and guidance from you tutor for experimentation and development
- set up artwork to print
- collate your sample magazine layouts as a group at end of the course.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- a notebook and a pen.
IMPORTANT - Adobe ID Login for Short Course Students
Students will need to create an account with Adobe (unless you already have one) in order to access the Adobe suite at the college – instructions are included below. You will need to use a personal email address to create this. If you already have an account with Adobe, please make sure you bring your login details with you on the first day of the course.
- Creating an Adobe account is free.
- The software will only be accessible when logged into a UAL networked computer
- The same account can be used outside of the University, but software will only be accessible through a personal paid subscription that students will need to set up independently
- You can still create an account on the day but doing this beforehand will save time and avoid delays to the start of the class.
- If you already have an Adobe ID/ subscription you can use this on your short course rather than setting up a new account.
To create an account students will need to:
Practice-based workshops using InDesign will introduce you to the following areas:
- grid systems: principles and purpose
- typography: choosing and using type
- hierarchy: emphasis and message
- layout: combining text and image
Meet the Tutor:
This Mac based course is aimed at beginners with an interest in print-based independent magazine design and requires a working knowledge of Adobe InDesign. You will learn the main aspects of magazine layout, working with grids, layout, type and image.