Adobe Illustrator - Beginners Online Short Course
This course will teach you the fundamentals of Adobe Illustrator, an industry standard software for vector graphics. On the course you will learn the fundamentals of the software and the skills to create vector illustrations.
Used by designers for creating patterns, Illustrator allows designers to scale up to any size without losing quality. As part of Adobe Creative Suite it integrates seamlessly with InDesign, Photoshop and Flash.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Make a simple and impactful logo design
- Make a professional looking vector illustration
- Incorporate bitmap and vector images onto an integrated design
Who Should Attend
Artists and designers wishing to learn the fundamentals of vector design. The course gives an introduction to the building blocks of the software enabling students to develop their own vector image portfolio.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
- Introduction to the Illustrator environment
- Creating vector shapes
- Creating and amending a path
- The pen tool
- Colours and fills
- Strokes and fill effects
- Basic typography - outlining in text
- Grouping vector elements
- Isolation mode
- Pathfinder and compound shapes
- Using patterns
- Symbols and the symbol sprayer
- Incorporating bitmap images - linking files
- Saving Illustrator documents
- File formats and what format to use
Meet the Tutor:
Learn from design experts how to use the Adobe Illustrator CC interface, create vector shapes and export files to create outstanding illustrations and graphics in this Adobe Illustrator - Beginners Short Course.