Strategic Branding Identity and Brand Experience Online Short Course
Behind every successful brand, there is usually a well-defined, coherent strategy. In all reputable branding agencies, before a brand identity is created, and before any work begins on designing the brand expressions and envisioning the brand experience, strategic thinking analyses and defines all aspects of the brand: its proposition (what), its purpose (why), its brand positioning (where and how), and its brand personality and values (who). It is this intellectual foundation that governs the creation of an effective and relevant brand.
This course uniquely combines design & marketing expert information and aims to give you an insight, and hands-on practical experience of the whole process of branding—from strategic brand positioning and articulation to brand identity creation, brand expression and brand experience.
Strong strategic thinking turns good designers into great designers. As designers, we need to be strategic thinkers not only for our clients’ benefit, but also to earn and keep a place at the top table of our design sector when advising clients.
This course aims to give students an insight into the whole process of branding, from strategic brand positioning and articulation to brand identity creation, graphic branding, brand expression and brand experience. This course will arm students with a set of strategic principles and brand design knowledge that they can apply to just about any branding project, for companies or institutions of any size.
By the end of this course you will:
- Acquire a clear understanding about the strategic principles in branding
- Have a good knowledge of the brand identity design process
- Be better equipped to create, express, communicate your own brand and engage audiences.)
Who should take this course:
This course is ideally suited for anyone interested in branding and communication: graphic design students, graduates, creatives (junior level) in the design industry, business owners, start-ups or (junior level) marketing students. Anyone wanting to create a brand, and plan its strategic positioning, brand identity, expression and experience.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please source the following materials:
- Pencil & Eraser •
- A4 (or A3) note pad or sketchbook.
- black fine-liner pen
The course will combine a series of short lectures, mini-workshops, hands-on demonstrations and exercises to highlight key aspects, alongside the running of one creative brief taken through all design stages. All taking place in a supportive environment with tutor/peer feedback and critiques.
- The fundamentals of branding strategy & design
- Brand positioning, brand purpose, brand personality, brand essence.
- The process of brand identity creation : from initial ideas to cross-media final applications
- Brand naming, brand language, tone of voice
- Brand identity: logo design, basic brand identity elements, (typography, colour, form).
- Adaptive and dynamic brand identity systems
- Brand expression: brand touch-points, media (digital, print, physical), basic principles behind UI/UX
- Basic principles behind digital / social media branding
- Brand story-telling and messages, verbal branding
- Brand experience: customer journey, branded environments
- Audience engagement: social media, marketing and advertising campaigns
- Brand management: brand guidelines, brand management (introductory)
Meet the Tutor:
Strategic Branding uniquely combines design and marketing expert information with the aim to give you an insight, and practical experience of the whole process of branding. Strong strategic thinking turns good designers into great designers.