Branding - Design Your Identity
A strong brand identity has a huge impact on a business. Learn how to create a successful brand identity that will communicate your offer clearly to your customers and differentiate you from your competitors. Whether you're creating your own identity or launching a new product or service, this practice-based beginners course will guide you through the creative process utilising the Mac. At the end of the course you will apply your brand identity over a chosen form of print or screen based media.
- The course explores the key aspects of designing a brand identity for personal or commercial use.
- Researching your competitors will help you define your offer and clarify your communication before embarking on the creative process.
- Initial concepts will explore the use of type, form and colour over a range of ideas on the Mac.
- Editing and development of your selected idea will enable you to fine-tune all elements of your brand identity.
- Final application will involve the visualisation of your brand identity across relevant forms of media.
Short subject related lectures will explore branding from a historical and contemporary perspective thereby contextualising the sessions.
Working individually and in small groups will encourage a supportive environment whilst providing the opportunity for tutor/peer discussion and review.
Who should take this course?
This introductory course suits students who wish to understand the process of designing a brand identity through practical Mac based sessions.
Entry requirements: Basic Mac skills and working knowledge of either Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or InDesign are essential.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Lisa Gellender is an Educator and Creative Director with extensive creative industry experience. Building on a successful career working at Coley Porter Bell and Design Bridge, Lisa formed Gellender Creative in 2004 to provide specialist branding and editorial design for a prestigious range of clients including Selfridges, London College of Fashion and Defected Records.
Revisiting her passion for graphic communication, Lisa completed an MA in Graphic Design at UAL in 2014, thus facilitating her transition into education in 2015. Extensive practice based experience underpins her teaching methods whilst informing curriculum planning and delivery. Alongside her part time role teaching on the BA Graphic Communication course at University of the Creative Arts, Lisa is an Associate Lecturer on the MA Fashion Journalism and Media course at London College of Fashion and the BA Graphic & Media Design course at London College of Communication.
Please bring to the first session:
- A4 pad.
IMPORTANT - Adobe ID Login for Short Course Students
Students will need to create an account with Adobe (unless you already have one) in order to access the Adobe suite at the college – instructions are included below. You will need to use a personal email address to create this. If you already have an account with Adobe, please make sure you bring your login details with you on the first day of the course.
- Creating an Adobe account is free.
- The software will only be accessible when logged into a UAL networked computer
- The same account can be used outside of the University, but software will only be accessible through a personal paid subscription that students will need to set up independently
- You can still create an account on the day but doing this beforehand will save time and avoid delays to the start of the class.
- If you already have an Adobe ID/ subscription you can use this on your short course rather than setting up a new account.
To create an account students will need to:
- Go to Adobe Sign in page.
- Select ‘Create an account’
- Enter your details and select ‘Create account’