Design for Art Direction
Learn the methods of contemporary art direction and how to visually communicate creative solutions and concepts through intelligent use of narrative components such as image, colour, mood and pace.
You will learn how to generate new ideas through a wide range of media: photography, illustration, typography, graphic design, interactive components, animation and video, and be encouraged to incorporate mixed media to produce strong art direction and a clear visual narrative.
Innovation is at the heart of this course, and you will learn how to use and interpret images and reference points to create unexpected and engaging ideas that clients will embrace.
Through a series of group discussions, active participation, workshops and visits you will learn how to develop ideas that can be communicated both online and offline. Towards the end of the course you will focus on rationalising your ideas and take one idea through the process to produce an end result that embodies that idea and communicates it effectively. You will be encouraged to critique each other's visuals and concepts.
There will be mini briefs for you to work on throughout the course, and you will have an opportunity to analyse existing commercial campaigns. You are encouraged to have an idea of your own to work on throughout the course. With the support of the tutor you will be able to develop the idea into a clear brief and create appropriate content around it. Alternatively, you may work on briefs created by the course tutor.Topics Covered
- At least one offsite visit to galleries and/or commercial spaces
- Interpreting sources, analysis and discussion in small groups
- Using areas of interest and ideas to hybridise bold new ideas
- Developing and analysing research
- Shaping ideas through written words, and design using animation, sketches, drawings and digital collage
- Creating concepts suitable for a range of media
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Engage and interpret creative references across many disciplines
- Draw connections between sources that appear diverse
- Find and test ideas quickly
- Generate ideas that are precise, communicative and ready to be fully executed
- Articulate and present ideas with confidence
- Receive feedback on your outputs from the tutor and the course participants
Who Should Attend
This course is aimed at students and professionals from a wide-range of backgrounds, including photography, film, graphics UX and animation. The focus is on visual narrative and creative thinking rather than technical skills - by the end of the course you will be confident to approach idea generation in a creative, innovative way.
This course is also a great refresher for anyone who has become stuck in old habits, or professional designers looking to move from one discipline into art direction.
Beginner and Intermediate. You should have a good (e.g. intermediate level) working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. Previous studies or work experience in graphic design and knowledge of design principles would be an advantage.
This course is ideal for you if you are thinking applying for further study at LCC.
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.
Please bring the following: