Design for Art Direction
Learn the methods a successful art director uses to generate and manage production of a wide range of media - from photography to digital, graphic design to video. On this creative short course, you will learn how to conceptualise new ideas and fully embrace the opportunities of mixed-media, both physical and digital.
This course has innovation at it's heart and you will learn how you can use different platforms and reference points to create unexpected and engaging ideas that clients will embrace.
Through a series of debates, workshops and visits you will learn how to develop robust ideas that work for clients online and offline. Towards the end of the course you will focus on rationalising your ideas - taking one idea through the process to produce an end result. You will have the chance to pitch your ideas - learning how to communicate your design process and communicating your vision.
Part One: Research
- Offsite visits to galleries such as the British Film Institute
- Analysis and discussion in small groups
- Using areas of interest and ideas to hybridise bold new ideas
- Interpreting sources: high and low culture, online and offline
Part Two: Ideas Development
- Developing and analysing research
- Shaping ideas through design - animation, sketches, drawings, digital collage, performance
- Creating concepts in a range of media
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Engage and interpret creative references across many disciplines
- Draw connections between sources that appear diverse
- Find and test ideas quickly
- Generate ideas that are precise but not always fully executed
- Articulate and present ideas with confidence
Who Should Attend
This course is aimed at students and professionals from a wide-range of backgrounds, including photography, film, graphics UX and animation. The focus is on ideas rather than technical skills - by the end of the course you will be confident to approach idea generation in a creative, innovative way.
This course is also a great refresher for anyone who has become stuck in old habits, or professional designers looking to move from one discipline into art direction.
Beginner and Intermediate. You should have a good understanding on Adobe Creative Suite.
Follow Up Courses
This course is ideal for you if you are thinking applying for further study at LCC.
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.
You should bring:
- A laptop with Adobe Creative Cloud if you have it