Business Start Up for Creatives Weekend Online Short Course
This course is for artists, makers, designers, photographers and image makers who wish to know about how to set up in business, and learn about the benefits of becoming self-employed. Did you know for instance that you can be employed and run an arts practice or design business at the same time? Did you know that if you freelance, sell work or need to gain commissions or run workshops on an ongoing basis you might need to gain legal trading status? But don’t panic!
This course will give you a concise overview of where to find sources of support, how to write a business plan, promote and identify a market for your artworks, designs, and creative skills. Other topics covered include raising awareness of legal issues, taxation, costing and pricing, what to charge and how to get paid.
The course includes a talk by a recently self-employed arts, design or lens-based start-up.
City law firm Laytons LLP is offering a free business name check and trade mark search to delegates on this course.
Who should take this course?
Artists, makers, designers, photographers or any other creative professionals wishing to develop their entrepreneurship skills.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring to the session:
- Raising awareness of current legal issues
- How to keep records
- Financial matters
- Taxation and invoicing
BONUS: City law firm Silverman Sherliker LLP is offering a free business name check and trademark search to delegates on this course. Additionally, for concept and idea protection, Creative Barcode offer a free 20 minute Q & A with CEO Maxine Horn on Skype and a massive discount off of its IP protection product including IP Tags, registration of work, file transfer service and much more. Available only to course attendees.
Meet the Tutor:
This intensive course is for those who want to learn how to set up in business. The course explores finding sources of support, how to start trading, trends, markets and self-promotion, plus more.