Design for Business
Learn how to succeed as creative person in a commercial world. Find out how good design and good management lead to business success on this innovative short course.
Taught through a series of lectures and workshops you will develop the core skills of creative and critical thinking. By anaylsing case-studies you'll learn about the context for entrepreneurship and innovation and have the chance to prototype and present your ideas.
At the end of the course you will be equipped with the tools and knowledge to understand the links between creativity, commerce and design. This course is ideal for you if you are just starting out in a creative career, running a design business or choosing a degree for further study.
- Empathy and employers
- What do all successful start-up businesses do?
- The relationship between branding and advertising
- Co-design - the future is about you
- Human centred design
- Why is sustainability so important for business
- What does 'innovation' really mean?
- Artificial Intelligence and the future of work
- Can design help make the world a better place?
- Good design = Good business
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Understand the links between creativity and business and apply these to your own experience.
- Apply the basic principles of the design process in a business context - from ideation to prototyping ideas, through to brainstorming and mind-mapping your own ideas
- Communicate your creative business ideas in a clear and engaging way
- Work out how you can thrive as a creative in a commercial world - and make your next move with confidence
Who Should Attend
This course is ideal for people from a range of backgrounds - both creative and commercial. You may have completed a creative degree and are looking to understand the relationship between your work and making money, or you may be in the process of setting up a creative business working with designers.
Beginner / Intermediate. You do not need a lot of business experience but you should have some experience of how the creative industries work.
Follow Up Courses
This course is perfect for you if you are thinking about postgraduate study at LCC. We would recommend it as a great introduction to MA Design Management and Cultures and MA Service Experience Design and Innovation.
We also offer bespoke design management courses for groups, individuals and businesses. To find out more, visit our Customised Training page.
Robert Urquhart is an editor-at-large, copywriter and strategic consultant, and a lecturer on BA (Hons) Design Management and Cultures at London College of Communication.
Robert studied fine art before moving in to sound design, producing sound effects for animations on Channel 4 Learning.
Robert then went on to curate an art gallery and hosted music events. From there he moved into large-scale music festival production, as well as research and development for
technology start-ups in London.
In 2005, Robert started writing for design magazines and working in viral advertising as a copywriter working on campaigns for Skype, Activision and Samsung. Bringing skills in storytelling, production and knowledge of design together, in 2010 Robert worked for the London Design Festival heading up the new online vision.
Since then Robert has travelled a lot, lectured, written as a freelance journalist and futurist for many of the world's leading design press, worked as a copywriter and, latterly, as a strategic consultant working with product designers, marketeers and architects.
Robert won a D&AD bronze award in 2012.
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.