Renovate and Decorate Online Short Course
Join Renovate and Decorate and gain design inspiration, tips and skills over this 3 day course, as you learn the essential steps to plan and manage a home decoration project.
Under the guidance of a professional interior designer, you will learn simple methods to develop your design concept and effectively translate this into a workable, functional and stylish home design.
You’ll also learn about how to use colour, lighting, materials and finishes when re-decorating your home – and valuable advice on working with builders and tradespeople.
The course will be packed with practical advice and fresh interior ideas to help you unleash your creativity and discover new ways to transform a house into a home.
Please bring plans with measurements and images, in relation to an existing renovation project, along to the first class. If you are not able to bring these along, your tutor will provide you with a hypothetical plan, to work from.
By the end of this course you will understand the key design processes and steps involved in decorating and renovating a residential interior. You will have the confidence to successfully plan your home design project, plus know how to identify and take the necessary steps to create your desired environment.
Who should attend
Anyone with a passion for interiors; perfect for new or prospective home owners intent on creating their dream interior or re-decorating an existing room or space in their home. This course will give you the tips and insider knowledge to turn your ideas into a reality.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Course specific materials
- Please bring the following materials with you on the first day:
- Pencil and notebook
- Graph paper A3 approx 5 sheets
- Tracing paper A3 pad
- 5m Tape measure?
- Scale ruler including scales 1:50 and 1:20/ 1:25
- Triangular set square 250mm
- Masking tape
- Glue stick
- 0.5 propelling pencil
- Fine liner pen 0.1
- Images of furniture and soft furnishings and samples
- Magazines / images for mood board
- Printed copies of your plans, with measurements. Please ensure they are at scale 1:5Please choose one room to work with on the course
- You will need a table to work on, if you have a drawing board please feel free to use it.
- Overview of the design process / defining your style / mood boards
- Planning the space - working to scale / site survey / drawing plans and elevation
- Planning and elevation’s
- Furnishings - functionality and aesthetics / how to use colour
- Kitchens / bathrooms / lighting
- Sourcing and sample boards
- Sourcing materials & finishes / hard surfaces / writing a specification
- Project management / hiring the correct experts
Meet the Tutor:
Join Home Renovation and gain design inspiration, tips and skills over this 3 day course, as you learn the essential steps to plan and manage a home decoration project.