Programming with Python for Beginners
Programming with Python for Beginners has been designed for artists, designers and communicators who want to delve into the world of programming but don't know where to start.
If you have never done any computer programming, looking at pages and pages of programme code can be daunting. In this course you will learn the basics of computer programming and use these to create a simple music library application.
- Getting Started: understanding what computer programming is all about, what the various programming languages are and when to use them, and how exactly Python fits in
- Basic Concepts: hands-on working through the basic concepts – objects, identifiers, types, decisions, loops, operators, modules and functions. Use of a variety of “unplugged” (i.e. non-computer based) activities to reinforce understanding
- Creating our Music Library Application: starting to create the music player whilst learning some new concepts – object orientation, classes, lists
- Developing a User Interface: showing the music library playlists and tracks to the user. Getting the user to select playlists and tracks
- Playing the Music: play your selected track by importing and using a third-party Python module
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Understand the structure of a computer program
- Apply a range of programming constructs to create programmes that undertake a variety of simple tasks
- Combine a variety of self-written and third-party modules to create a fully working application
- Demonstrate good programming disciplines such as commenting and exception handling in your coding
This course has been designed for you if you are an artist, designer, journalist or communications professional and have a project that could be realised through programming. It is also ideal for you if you are thinking of changing career or working in a role that employs programmers.
You do not need any previous programming knowledge but you should be comfortable installing software, downloading and moving files.
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.