Video Editing with Avid Media Composer
Our Video Editing with Avid Media Composer course will give you a foundation from which you will be able to edit a wide range of content, or step up to Avid’s own certification. Whether new to editing or experienced, you will be introduced to Avid Media Composer’s editing workflow from start to finish.
Avid Media Composer is the industry standard editing application used for feature film, television and high-end corporate production. Knowledge of the software is a key skill for editors who aspire to work in high-end production houses and broadcasters.
- Setting up a project and selecting appropriate preferences
- Ingesting or linking to media, including a discussion of codecs and camera formats
- Managing media using bins
- Selecting clips and creating an assembly edit ‘rough cut’
- Refining the edit using the trimming tools
- Adding effects, transitions and titles
- Refining and mixing the audio
- Exporting finished edit and archiving
On completion of the course students will be confident in:
- Understanding the Avid Media Composer interface and creating a new project with the appropriate settings
- Ingesting, organizing and viewing source footage
- Creating a rough cut and then refining the edit, both picture and sound
- Adding simple transitions, effects and titles
- Exporting the final edit to an industry-standard format
Who should attend
Editors who aspire to work in high-end production houses and broadcasters. This course will give students the opportunity to experience and become familiar with Media Composer before deciding to move forward whether into industry or onto the Avid Media Composer certification programme.
This course is not for beginners. It is suitable for those with some experience of using an editing software package who want to gain an industry skill, so they can move into or progress within a post-production house/broadcaster/corporate film company.
Kenny MacLeod completed his MA in Post-Production Editing with Distinction at Bournemouth University in 2014 and went on to work as a freelance film-maker, editor, colourist and camera operator. He achieved Avid Media Composer Professional Certification at the Met Film School and additionally has extensive experience of editing and grading in Da Vinci Resolve, Filmlight Baselight and Adobe Premiere. Currently working as the Specialist Digital Media Technician within the Screen School at LCC, he initially trained as a fine artist at Goldsmiths College, London, and the Rijksakademie van Beeldende Kunsten, Amsterdam. His video installation work is held in the collections of both Arts Council England and the British Council.
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.