Whether you’re hoping to use the skills yourself or to better enable the directing of others, this fashion film making course introduces a broad range of techniques for the creation of fashion film; from research and planning to shooting, editing and broadcast. The course combines theory, discussion and practical workshops in a friendly and collaborative space. You’ll leave with an understanding of the principles and practicalities of fashion filmmaking, innovative techniques to accomplish them and working in a small crew to create a completed short fashion film.
The course includes:
- An introduction to fashion film and moving image
- Pre-production: innovative research workflows, storyboarding and production planning
- Pitching: each student has the chance to pitch a concept for the shoot; one of which will go into production
- Production: techniques and roles – who does what on a film set and why?
- Post-production: editing, uploading and innovative promotion of your work
- Shoot: collaborative crew-work – planning and shooting your fashion film
- Editing your fashion film, adding music, effects and uploading
- Screening & discussion: viewing your fashion films, discussing the outcomes and any further questions.
“I immensely enjoyed the course, it was a truly an unforgettable and valuable experience for me! It gave me an outlet to express my creativity and improve on my skills, as well as working with others and problem-solving. Directing the film has definitely taken me out of my comfort zone but at the same time inflicted me with more self-belief and motivated me to continue with the creative work.” Yanika. View Yanika’s fashion film created on the course here.
Beginners. You should have an interest in the subject area and a desire to learn but no previous experience is required. The course is highly collaborative, so you should enjoy group work.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Your place on the course is not confirmed until you have booked online or over the phone (+44 20 7514 7552) using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking however places are offered on a first come first served basis, so please book early to avoid disappointment.
David McGovern is a fashion filmmaker based in London. In 2015 he has directed work for Aquascutum, Sassoon and MCM, in addition to several editorial projects. McGovern has previously worked on editorial and video content at Nowness, Dossier and V Magazine. He worked for American Apparel in various roles, including visual merchandising and press. McGovern's first foray into fashion film, 'Someone Who Needs Something', was selected for the London Short Film Festival in the Fashion Popcorn category. The short film was praised for its innovative engagement with the fashion beauty product. Later that year he was invited to speak about the future of fashion media at a live panel discussion on industry website Showstudio. In addition to his own practise, currently McGovern lectures on moving image, and is Video Editor at The Future Laboratory.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Notepad and pen
- External hard drive (100gb or more)
- Moving image camera is provided by UAL, but feel free to bring your own.