Introduction to Millinery Short Course
On this millinery course we'll introduce you to the technical skills for blocking and shaping straw and felt hats. We'll show you professional techniques and help you develop the correct manipulative skills, while learning how to use a range of specialist traditional equipment. You'll learn a range of decorative techniques and methods of professionally finishing hats, as well as measuring the head and fitting a hat. You will be encouraged to develop your design abilities and feeling for style.
Most students should produce two hats during the course, depending on the chosen design and materials.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
Your tutor will outline the course agenda in detail on day one of your course.
- Needles - millinery sizes 6, 7 & 8, or a mixed pack of 3-9
- Thimble (one that fits you)
- Tape measure
- Fabric scissors
- Paper scissors
- Polyester threads - black, white and any colour to match the hat you are making (Gutermann is a good make)
- Tailor’s chalk
- Household pins - 26 x 0.75mm
- Dressmaking pins - 30 x 0.60mm
- Cling film
- Pencil, pen rubber and ruler
- Wire cutters
- Jam jar with lid
- 5-6cm paintbrush
Please allow at least £40 to purchase fabrics and trimmings for this course. Advice will be given on the selection and purchase of these items and participants will be encouraged to visit suppliers to make appropriate purchases before or after each class.
Meet the Tutor:
This introductory Millinery course will introduce you to the technical skills for blocking and shaping straw and felt hats.