Bag design is one of the most interesting and fascinating growing areas of Fashion. This introductory course will help you to develop your love of handbags from dream into reality. Showing you what's involved creatively in each of the different areas of research, taking you through design stages and development to reach your final idea. You will also learn about new materials and current trends in Bags, including developments in sustainability and Technology.
After completing this course students will learn how to focus their creative ideas, how to present them and where to go next.
The course includes:
- Trend research
- Storyboards /mood boards
- Developing design concepts and your personal design brief
- Material research and fittings
- Working drawings and looking at spec sheets
- Insight in to the bag industry
- Introduction to prototyping
Level:Beginners. You should have an interest in the subject area and a desire to learn but no previous experience is required.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
Ann Saunders is an accessories designer specialising in handbags; advising on trends in colour, shape, materials and finishes. She works with entrepreneurs, designers and manufactures creating product ranges. Ann trained in fashion and textile design. As a student, she was interested in printed design, colour and textures. She now runs her own accessories company and works extensively with product sourcing in Europe and China. She is a visiting lecturer at London College of Fashion teaching in both London, Dubai and Italy and has worked as a stylist and consultant on a number of television programmes. Ann Saunders' websites: Ann Saunders & Alice Foxx.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- USB stick
- A4/A3 sketchbook
- Pen and pencil
- Glue stick
- Scalpel and blades
- Magazine tears, photos and research materials – This should be of things you find inspiring, it can include bags or a broader selection of visuals, from architecture to flowers, a favourite artists work or colour palette you like.
- Fabrics - Please bring small amounts of fabrics to make swatches to add to mood / inspiration boards. Your tutor can advise on the first class if you are unsure of your selection.
- 3 x A3 polyboards
As part of your research you will be required to do some printing. Students will be required to put a minimum of £2 on a printing account and pay by debit or credit card – the tutor will advise you during your course.