Product and Sustainable Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds (Online Short Course)
This online course covers sustainability within the world of product design. It will give you an insight into the design process and the many skills used to complete a successful design project within the field of 3D physical objects.
You are encouraged to explore ideas of sustainability and experiment with concepts through research, sketching and model making. You will be expected to expand your perception of design and sustainability and to explore possible interventions for a more sustainable future.
The aim of the course is to utilise principles of sustainability as an integrated discipline throughout the design process.
You will be guided through design principles including areas such as observation, idea generation and prototyping. It is expected that you engage with all elements of the design process both in the live lessons but also in assignments outside of the live lessons.
On completion of this course, you will get an understanding of sustainability within the design processes and how to apply this to your design projects. You will also gain the ability to communicate and present ideas trough drawing and three-dimensional form. It is an ideal opportunity for you to explore, experiment and improve your skills within sustainability and product design.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with expert tutors
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- Access to VLE with course content
- 3 months online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- Sustainability knowledge
- System thinking
- Human-centred design approach
- Research methods
- Ideation skills
- Free-hand sketching techniques
- 3D shape and form awareness
- Presentation skills
- University application procedure
- Career prospects
Entry requirement: Basic understanding of spoken English is needed.
Level: The course is suitable for beginners.
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old onlyPlease note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Danish designer Alexander Hinnerskov graduated in 2007 with a BA Honours in Product Design from Cental Saint Martins. His interdisciplinary approach has led him to work with product development, bespoke furniture making, lighting design as well as interior design and styling. Having experience in all aspects of the creative process across design disciplines has meant working with clients such as Fredrikson Stallard, Tomasz Starzewski, Eva Menz, Torsten Neeland and Underdog Studio. He has been teaching since 2013 in a verity of design subjects supported by his academic knowledge, practical skills and industry experience.
You can also find more about Alexander on his website.
Materials Needed for this course
- A4 and A3 paper (loose sheets)
- A4 or A3 printer
- Post-it notes
- Variety of pencils (colour and graphite)
- Variety of pens (black fine liner and colours)
- Scotch tape
- Masking tape
- Double-sided tape (5mm wide)
- Pritt stick
- Scalpel or Stanley knife
- 30cm/12in metal ruler
- Geometry set square ruler
- Drawing Compass
- Other preferred but not essential materials; Variety of papers, card, foam board, mount board, Super glue (30sec).
Prior to the start of your course, please ensure you have:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection, we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.