Product and Sustainable Design Residential Summer School for 16 to 18 Year Olds
This two-week course covers sustainability within the world of product design. It will give you an insight to the design process and the many skills used to complete a successful design project within the field of 3D objects. You are encouraged to explore ideas of sustainability and experiment with materials through sketching and model making. You will be expected to expand your perception of sustainability and explore what is possible in the design process. The focus is to utilise principles of sustainability as an integrated discipline throughout the design process. The course will be a unique hands-on project-based learning experience giving you an insight into what it is like studying at Central Saint Martins.
During the course you will work independently, and sometimes in groups, on your own project set to a specific brief. You will be guided through the design process including areas such as research, strategy, idea generation and design development. It is expected that you engage with all elements of the design process. Particularly different approaches to design research and ways to evaluate your research outcome and design strategy. You will also do lots of sketching with the objective to experiment with three-dimensional form to develop relevant design concepts. A variety of theories and subjects within product design and sustainability are introduced to give you the critical thinking necessary to communicate and present your ideas. There will also be guest speakers from industry and external visits when relevant.
The last day of the course you get the opportunity to present your work in an exhibition-style environment where you will receive invaluable feedback to help you progress. You will be assessed on your research and design outcome along with your ability to develop and present your ideas as sketches and modelmaking to portfolio standard. In order to achieve a final 3D presentation model and 2D presentation work you are expected to be focused, self-sufficient and hard-working.
On completion of this course, you will get an understanding of sustainability within the design processes and how to apply this to projects. You will also gain the ability to communicate and present ideas trough drawing and three-dimensional form. It is an ideal opportunity for you to explore and experiment with disciplines within sustainability and product design and to obtain appropriate material for portfolio applications.
This course is designed to help you develop and discover your skills within product design and give you an understanding of sustainability. The course will be particularly useful if you are planning to study at Foundation or BA level. During the course you will produce a variety of research outcomes, sketches and sketch models, A3 presentation boards and 3D presentation models. After the two-week course you will have;
- Experience with the design process
- Knowledge of sustainability
- Understanding the importance of research in the design process
- Improved drawing skills and special awareness
- Ability to make 3D models through understanding of material and form
- Suitable work to show in portfolio applications
- Experience life as a student in London
- Experience the energy and vibrancy of London as a world city including off-site visits to galleries and places of interest.
- Guest lecturers including specialist practitioners, associate lecturers and past students
- Certificates of attendance
- Guidance on the application process for the UAL
- Single rooms with Ensuite at Sketch House, UAL Halls of residence
- Breakfast included at Sketch House, UAL Halls of residence
- 13 nights total at Sketch House (check in Sunday before / check out final Saturday)
- 24x7 helpline and overnight Summer School Representatives
- Evening and weekend social activities to galleries and places of interest
- Accompanied travel between the halls of residence and CSM’s Archway campus
- Pre-paid travel card for local transport across London for week 2 of the course
The studio for the Product residential course are at Central Saint Martins’ Archway campus in North London, which is home to the Design Foundation Studies. Accommodation is nearby at Sketch House halls of residence in Finsbury Park. Both locations are within easy reach both of Central Saint Martins’ main campus at Kings Cross and everything else that London has to offer as a world centre of fashion in terms of exhibitions and galleries. Programmed activities during evenings and weekends, including gallery visits and events, will ensure that students are able to make the most of these resources. Please note that accommodation at Sketch House will only include breakfast, and does not cover lunch or dinner. However there is a range of options available to students very close at hand in Archway and Finsbury Park.
Accommodation will be provided from Sunday 11 July - Saturday 24 July and the course will be delivered from Monday 12 July - Friday 23 July.
- Residential Summer School for 16 to 18 Year Olds Promotional Video on YouTube
- Residential Summer School for 16 to 18 Year Olds Course Handbook (PDF 14900KB)
- Booking Terms and Conditions PDF
Developed by Alexander Hinnerskov, Course Leader on CSM Product Short Courses
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old only
Please bring with you to the first session:
- London zone 1-2 travel card for day 2 and 3
- A favourite item of clothing.
Throughout the course you will be introduced to a variety of skills, subjects and industry topics. The aim of the course is for you to gain an understanding of:
- The design process in Product Design
- Sustainability in industry
- Design and critical thinking
- Research methods
- Design strategy
- Generating ideas
- Model making
- Design development
- Portfolio applications
Meet the Tutor:
This is a two-week London based residential course that covers sustainability within the world of product design.