Sustainable Product Design (Online Short Course)
How do you create physical products and businesses that are more sustainable? How do you go beyond simply working with sustainable materials, to make more fundamental changes to your design processes and methodologies? How can you design products that fit into larger sustainable systems? These are some of the questions we will explore in this four-week online course.
The aim of this course is to give you new perspectives on sustainability and how to implement sustainable product development in a comprehensive way. You will review theories of sustainability in product design and examine case studies showing these theories in practice. You will explore these ideas through presentations from the tutor, in class discussions, and practical assignments where you can apply what you have learned. Each week you will get personalised feedback on your assignments, to help you create more sustainable products.
- Sustainability overview
- Design for longevity
- Designing products with purpose
- Research and ethnographic studies
- Design for systems
- Designing products as part of a service
- Sketching out business models
- Design for disassembly
- Maintenance and fixing products
- Products to re-use, refurbish, recycle
- Design interventions for sustainability
By the end of the course you will understand;
- Theories of intervention within sustainability for product design
- How to map wider systems beyond the product life
- How to design things that last
- How to undertake and use ethnographic research
- Services designed for products
- Opportunities for sustainability within product design
- Ways to make your own design and/or business idea more sustainable
Who is Sustainable Product Design (Online Short Course) for?
The course is perfect for graduates, designers, entrepreneurs and creatives alike who make physical goods, products and objects. It will also be relevant for people working with production and/or manufacturing as well as others wanting to work with sustainability.
Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Please note: The course is for students aged 18 and over.
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Danish designer Alexander Hinnerskov graduated in 2007 with a BA Honours in Product Design from Cental Saint Martins. His interdisciplinary approach has led him to work with product development, bespoke furniture making, lighting design as well as interior design and styling. Having experience in all aspects of the creative process across design disciplines has meant working with clients such as Fredrikson Stallard, Tomasz Starzewski, Eva Menz, Torsten Neeland and Underdog Studio. He has been teaching since 2013 in a verity of design subjects supported by his academic knowledge, practical skills and industry experience.
To take part in the online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions