Product Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds (Weekend)
This weekend course is a fast-pace and hands-on introduction to product design. You will get a taster of the key skills needed to design within the field of 3D objects. This includes research, generating ideas, sketching and model making. The course is taught through project-driven learning as well as short lecture-style talks and workshops. The focus of the weekend will be learning the basics of the design process and how it is used. This course gives an insight into what it is like studying at Central Saint Martins and is an ideal opportunity for prospective students to obtain work suitable for portfolio applications.
Course level Beginners
Who is the course aimed at?
This course is ideal for young creatives (16 – 18 year olds) who wish to improve their product design skills.
What will you take away from the course?
Sketches and sketch models showing development and experimentation
What are the key topics the course will cover?
- The design process in Product Design
- Research methods
- Generating ideas
- Model making
- Portfolio and application advise for further studies
What will the students achieve?
- Understanding of the design process
- Knowledge of how things are made
- Improved drawing skills
- Ability to make models through understanding of material and form
How will the course be taught?
- Hands-on making
- Project work
- Short lecture-style talks
Good drawing skills would be advantageous but not a requirement
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old only
Danish designer Alexander Hinnerskov graduated in 2007 with a BA Honours in Product Design from Cental Saint Martins. His interdisciplinary approach has led him to work with product development, bespoke furniture making, lighting design as well as interior design and styling. Having experience in all aspects of the creative process across design disciplines has meant working with clients such as Fredrikson Stallard, Tomasz Starzewski, Eva Menz, Torsten Neeland and Underdog Studio. He has been teaching since 2013 in a verity of design subjects supported by his academic knowledge, practical skills and industry experience.
Please bring the following materials to the first session
- A3 portrait sketchbook (paperback)
- Variety of pencils (colour and graphite)
- Variety of pens (black fine liner and colours)
- Scotch tape and masking tape
- Scalpel and Stanley knife
- 30cm/12in metal ruler
- Geometry set square ruler
- Drawing Compass
- Super glue (30sec)
- Rodgers, Paul & Alex Milton, Product Design, 2011, London, Laurence King Publishing Ltd.
- Thompson, Rob, Manufacturing Processes for Design Professionals, 2007, London, Thames & Hudson Ltd.
- Williams, Gareth, 21 Designers for twenty-first century Britain, 2012, London, V&A Publishing
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.